Manager, Political Affairs
Full Job Description
The American Academy of Dermatology is seeking a Manager, Political Affairs located in our Washington, DC office responsible for overseeing and administering the operations of the American Academy of Dermatology Association’s political action committee (SkinPAC). Work with staff and member leadership to implement and develop strategic programs, including but not limited to, fundraising, member education, and disbursements of SkinPAC. Accountable for ensuring that the PAC complies with all relevant legal requirements.
The American Academy of Dermatology (Academy), founded in 1938, is the largest, most influential, and most representative of all dermatologic associations. A sister organization to the Academy, the American Academy of Dermatology Association is the resource for government affairs, health policy and practice information for dermatologists, and plays a major role in formulating policies that can enhance the quality of dermatologic care.
With a membership of more than 20,500 physicians worldwide, the Academy is committed to: advancing the diagnosis and medical, surgical, and cosmetic treatment of the skin, hair and nails; advocating high standards in clinical practice, education, and research in dermatology; and supporting and enhancing patient care for a lifetime of healthier skin.
To learn more about the Academy please visit our website at www.aad.org, or follow us on these social media outlets:
- Facebook (www.facebook.com/aadskin)
- Twitter (www.twitter.com/AADskin)
- Pinterest (www.pinterest.com/AADskin)
- Instagram (www.instagram.com/aadskin1)
- Oversee operations of SkinPAC and generate strategies for fundraising, membership retention and growth, and recognition programs of SkinPAC. Work with other Academy staff, outside consultants, and vendors, as necessary, to implement strategies.
- Educate Academy members and key staff regarding the organization, goals, and activities of SkinPAC and the Academy’s political program. Provide content for relevant communications and publications as needed.
- Develop strategies for political giving and disbursement priorities in consultation with the Director, Legislative, Political & Grassroots Advocacy. Establish and maintain relationships with relevant political committee staff and professional campaign fundraisers. Oversee, manage and coordinate AADA attendance at PAC fundraisers. Cultivate, facilitate and coordinate SkinPAC member participation in local political events. Represent the AADA at SkinPAC functions, political events, and other relevant internal and external activities. Oversee, manage and coordinate SkinPAC disbursement requests on a timely basis.
- Manage day-to-day operations of SkinPAC and serve as staff liaison to the SkinPAC Board of Advisors. Collaborate with senior staff and AADA members to draft SkinPAC Board of Advisors meeting agendas, coordinate meetings and conference calls, draft and circulate summation reports, and track follow-up. Ensure that SkinPAC operates consistent with all relevant laws. Accountable for accurate and timely filing of required FEC and IRS reports.
- Partner with the Specialist, Grassroots Advocacy, the Congressional Policy team, and other staff, as appropriate, in integrating SkinPAC and grassroots tools to engage AADA members in advocacy efforts.
- Work with Director to develop strategies and tactics to accomplish department goals, assist with budget and congressional and lobbying efforts.
- Bachelor’s degree or related experience required.
- Minimum 4 years relevant experience in government advocacy, fundraising, political action committee (PAC) or political campaign experience required.
- Knowledge of political campaign compliance required.
- Effective verbal and written interpersonal communication and analytical skills are essential.
- Ability to build credibility with board members and broader membership.
- Project management, organizational and problem-solving skills required.
- Must be collaborative, self-directed, possess initiative and able to multitask.
- Strong presentation and organizational skills are required.
- Team building skills and the ability to foster collaboration with others is critical. Ability to foster involvement and enthusiasm among members is important.
- Requires creativity, energy, and resourcefulness.
- Knowledge of federal legal requirements and understanding of impact of federal legislative and regulatory processes important.
- Some travel and work outside normal business hours required.
We offer a competitive compensation plan and benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life insurance as well as a matching retirement contribution, tuition reimbursement, bonus program, pension plan, paid vacation/medical/personal days, work-life balance, recognition program and casual work environment.
For immediate consideration please apply online at www.aad.org, scroll to the bottom of the page and follow the Employment link. EOE M/F/D/V
Job posted: 2021-05-24