Manager of Political Engagement
Who we are and why we are hiring: The North Carolina Nurses Association (NCNA) is the leading professional organization for North Carolina’s registered nurses. We equip nurses at all stages to thrive in an ever-changing healthcare environment. NCNA helps keep North Carolina nurses on the cutting edge of nursing practice, policy, education, and more. Join us as we work to advance nursing and ensure high-quality healthcare for everyone.
NCNA has experienced significant recent growth, including membership growth of almost 20% in the last 2 years, reaching a total of almost 7000 members. Thus, the successful candidate will join a growing and enthusiastic team of staff and volunteers. The position is based out of the brand new NCNA headquarters in the North Hills area of Raleigh, NC. The NCNA staff team consists of 8 full-time members, 2 part-time members and 3 independent contractors who work diligently to implement the strategic priorities of the organization. A broad and determined legislative agenda has prompted the desire to further strengthen the engagement of nurses in political activity in our state, including participation in the PAC, association political activities and communication with elected officials supporting quality healthcare policy. The NC Nurses PAC is one of the fastest growing political action committees in North Carolina and our new team member will be charged with growing it to even greater heights.
Who we need: NCNA seeks candidates who are enthusiastic about working for one of the most valued and respected professions. The successful candidate will be a driven, professional team player who is a talented communicator, technically savvy, and highly focused on customer/member service and engagement. Candidates should have demonstrated aptitude and success in fundraising and grassroots development. This role requires significant independent work, self-motivation and rapid implementation of ideas and strategies.
Responsibilities: Provide professional service and expertise to all political programs of the North Carolina Nurses Association, including but not limited to the following:
- Serves as chief PAC fundraiser and manager of all PAC activities and political programming.
- Responsible for PAC marketing efforts and related member relations, both verbal and written, as well as development and execution of programs to promote PAC and political engagement (ex: member communications, PAC Annual Report, marketing brochures, displays/booths at meetings, donor appreciation and recognition, etc.).
- Responsible for training of PAC and grassroots volunteers and providing fundraising assistance at the regional level.
- Primary staff liaison to the PAC Board, responsible for management of all regular communication with board regarding PAC issues including fundraising, candidate funding, PAC policies, and related information. Also works with PAC Chair on fundraising strategy, PAC meeting preparation, providing reports to CEO and/or BOD, as needed.
- Assists association with the development of short and long-term strategy for fundraising, grassroots and election participation.
- Serves as primary resource for staff and volunteers regarding PAC and other political initiatives.
- Communicates regularly with regional PAC volunteers, NCNA leadership and NCNA staff regarding PAC and other NCNA political initiatives. Responds promptly to member requests regarding PAC.
- Manages PAC donor recognition program, including annual awards, thank you notes, etc.
- Attendance building and promotion for Nurses Day at the Legislature and Nurses Night at the Legislature, as well as event responsibilities for the events.
- Educates NCNA membership about the importance of PAC participation and political involvement. This may be accomplished through written and verbal communication, as well as travel to NCNA meetings throughout North Carolina.
- Communicates regularly with ANA staff regarding public policy and PAC issues, including serving as NCNA liaison regarding Federal candidate funding.
- Provides oversight necessary to ensure compliance with election laws. Oversees the return of ineligible contributions. Also, oversees the submission of candidate funding requests, disbursement to candidates, and proper maintenance of candidate funding records.
- Contributes articles and updates to NCNA publications, as needed.
- Serves as guest presenter at institutions of higher education and affiliated nursing organizations on topics related to the importance of involvement in the legislative and political process.
- Responsible for building nurse participation in grassroots engagement opportunities such as legislative Calls to Action and grassroots relationship building with elected officials including Raleigh and district visits.
- Provides professional support to NCNA communications and public affairs as they relate to government relations and political initiatives.
- Support and promote the mission of NCNA by seeking to maintain a basic knowledge of the current events and programs offered by NCNA. Promoting NCNA membership any time there is an opportunity is considered a job component of all NCNA team members.
- Frequent in-state travel, including occasional overnight travel is required.
- Other duties as assigned by the CEO.
Education: A bachelor’s degree from a four-year institution is required.
Professional Skills: Political savvy and basic knowledge of the political process is a must. Experience with NC campaigns, politics and/or government preferred. Fundraising experience, political or otherwise is preferred. Intrinsic motivation, an outstanding work ethic, personal organizational skills, ability to meet deadlines and work with limited supervision is required. In all positions, NCNA welcomes team members with a dedication to customer service, problem resolution and working together as a team to achieve goals and objectives. Excellent written and verbal communication skills required, as well as basic Microsoft office skills required. Some database management and manipulation experience is beneficial.
Experience: A minimum of three years professional experience, preferably in government or political affairs, campaigns and/or fundraising
To apply: If your background, skills and interest are a strong match with the position description, you are invited to express your interest by submitting the following to NCNA at email@example.com or 4350 Lassiter at North Hills Avenue, Suite 250, Raleigh, NC 27609:
- A well-written, thoughtfully composed cover letter that demonstrates you have explored our website and purpose, have carefully read the position description, and are confident your profile is a match for us. Tell us why you are attracted to this specific opportunity.
- A resume outlining your professional and educational experience/achievements
- Examples of your work (links, attachments, outcomes, etc.)
Job posted: 2019-02-20