Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Manager Public Affairs
Job Title: Manager, Public Affairs
Date: July 2022
As a Fortune 50 company with more than 350,000 team members worldwide, Target is an iconic brand and one of America’s leading retailers.
Working at Target means the opportunity to help all families discover the joy of everyday life. Caring for our communities is woven into who we are, and we invest in the places we collectively live, work, and play. We prioritize relationships, fuel and develop talent by creating growth opportunities, and succeed as one Target team. At our core, our purpose is ingrained in who we are, what we value, and how we work. It’s how we care, grow, and win together.
A role in Government Affairs means ensuring local and federal government entities have positive relationships with Target Enterprise. You will act as an advocate on behalf of Target and serve as an internal expert to both internal and external entities on a variety of key social and governmental issues that allow Target to conduct business in the most productive way.
As a Manager, Public Affairs you will:
- Develop a long-term strategic advocacy and public policy-related communications program that supports Target’s government affairs objectives and assists in the execution of key corporate policy initiatives.
- Identify partnership opportunities with key third-party groups and opinion leaders, ensuring that such relationships and initiatives advance Target’s legislative priorities.
- Facilitate regular communication on Target’s business and public policy priorities with internal and external stakeholders, including retail associations, contract lobbyists, elected officials, interest groups, state agencies, and others as necessary.
- Support issue campaigns and corporate reputation initiatives with an emphasis on creative storytelling and content development including issue briefs, fact sheets, articles, and other materials.
- Support the creation of internal communications about government affairs priorities to business partners and team members, partnering closely with the PAC manager and Grassroots manager.
- Maintain accurate and up to date lists, data and story banks to support the overall communications program.
- Collaborate effectively with colleagues across Government Affairs, Risk & Reputation, Communications, Corporate Responsibility, DE&I and other business teams in support of Enterprise priorities.
- Consistently demonstrate behaviors aligned to Target’s values of Inclusivity, Connection, and Drive.
- Other duties as assigned.
Core responsibilities of this job are described within this job description. Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years of relevant work experience with policy communications, government affairs, public relations or issues advocacy.
- Proficiency in the legislative process at all levels of government.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with a distinct ability to distill complex ideas into simple, understandable messaging.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to facilitate meetings, resolve conflict, build consensus, establish rapport and collaborate effectively across departments and all levels of team members.
- Sound judgment with the ability to assess risks to Target’s reputation, work autonomously and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated track record of success in managing strategic communications, including developing issue campaigns and advocacy collateral with the ability to present complex issues to senior leaders internally and externally.
- Ability to apply discretion and sensitivity while working with confidential information
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and a familiarity with common newsletter and email content platforms.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-07-16