American Dental Association
Located in the ADA’s Washington, D.C. office, the Manager, Public Affairs & Advocacy Communications plays a key role in devising proactive and reactive public affairs strategies and tactical plans for federal legislative, regulatory and advocacy matters in support of the ADA’s strategic plan and government affairs’ goals. The manager facilitates collaboration and cohesion and serves as a lynchpin integrating the divisions of Government Affairs and Integrated Marketing and Communications as well as any national public affairs agencies contracted by the ADA to ensure, whenever possible, consistency of public affairs strategies and messaging across all levels of the ADA. Through relationship building, proactive media pitching and development/distribution of content across multiple paid, earned and owned communications channels, the manager establishes the ADA as a leading resource of oral health policy information with key stakeholders including legislators, regulators, health policy organizations and the media. The manager is also responsible for producing the ADA’s e-publication “Government and Public Affairs Update” keeping grassroots leaders and members abreast of ADA’s advocacy on legislative and regulatory matters pertaining to the profession.
- BS/BA degree
- A minimum of 7 years’ experience in government affairs, public policy and/or corporate public affairs. This experience must include: developing and implementing national advocacy communications strategies, media relations outreach and programming that drives awareness, engagement and results among policymakers and national public affairs media outlets; distilling information from multiple sources to prepare analysis and communications recommendations for senior leaders that factor in potential impact to ADA’s overall reputation and master brand in addition to the ADA’s advocacy position; and developing testimony, briefing papers, presentations and memos on substantive issues.
- Strategic thinker who proactively seeks out newer, better ways to get things done while creating efficiencies with existing resources.
- Media relations expertise and solid understanding of research skills and application to formulate story angles and pitches that break through the clutter.
- Ability to understand and strategize about how the current legislative, regulatory and policy-making landscape affects dentistry and oral health and use that knowledge to deliver plans and programs that the ADA can activate upon to further organizational goals.
- Organized, self-motivated and able to work independently as well as collaboratively while keeping Chicago-based supervisor informed.
- Ability to engage comfortably with senior executives to prepare them for interviews, testimony, etc.
- Ability to work with and manage external consultants and/or agencies.
- Highly proactive, entrepreneurial and able to navigate ambiguity and complexity while developing successful solutions.
- In depth knowledge of the legislative and political processes of the Federal government.
- Excellent written & verbal communications, multi-tasking, organizational and strategic planning skills.
- Willing to occasionally work evenings and weekends, with some travel.
- Proficient in MicroSoft Office Suite (WORD, EXCEL & PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of Engage or similar platform.
- Experience with Cision or similar platform.
Learn more here
Job Posted: September 1, 2017