Manager, Public Policy
Come join us as a Manager, Public Policy in Washington, DC!
PURPOSE: To provide support to the Senior Director for Policy and Federal Government Affairs by managing lobbying and policy development activities with the goal of advancing advocacy priorities and providing tools, resources and information to policymakers, individuals with autism, their families, and staff.
- Manage a federal policy portfolio including education, transportation, and housing issue areas and others as assigned.
- Lead policy development efforts in portfolio areas, working with members of Advocacy, Services and Supports, and Science teams to advance initiatives to improve outcomes for individuals with autism.
- Manage the identification and maintenance of relationships with federal policymakers that have jurisdiction over or interest in portfolio issue areas.
- Monitor and track proposed legislation, regulations and other federal policy being developed that would impact individuals with autism.
- Assist in the development and distribution of messages to grassroots advocates via social media, email, etc.
- Coordinate and represent Autism Speaks at relevant policy meetings with key federal agencies, congressional staff, colleague advocacy organizations and other federal partners.
- Coordinate meetings and distribute information between stakeholders, local grassroots advocates, Autism Speaks staff and relevant policymakers as needed.
- Respond to phone calls, e-mail and other inquiries on portfolio areas.
- Create public information materials (including but not limited to policy briefs, website content, social media posts, etc.) that support public policy priorities in portfolio areas.
- Represent Autism Speaks at conferences, webinars and events.
- Provide assistance as needed to the federal advocacy intern program.
- Work closely and collaborate with State Government Affairs, Grassroots Advocacy, Services and Supports, Science, and other teams within Autism Speaks.
(The responsibilities listed above are representative and not all inclusive. Other duties may be assigned by supervisor/s. As outlined in your performance goal setting forms, you will be responsible for achieving the goals provided by and agreed upon with your manager.)
Education: Bachelor’s degree in political science/ government, communications or related field required. Masters in related field or law degree preferred.
Two or more years policy experience with a strong background in federal and legislative advocacy, preferably in an autism-related field.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
- Extremely polished and professional demeanor, excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong ability to research information; dynamic and innovative thinker
- Comfortable relating to senior executives and volunteer stakeholders
- Detail oriented, highly organized, with ability to work independently with minimal supervision and as a team member
- Solid administrative skills and a high level of proficiency in MS Office, Excel, PowerPoint, and social media
- Extensive knowledge of autism and experience with individuals with autism and their families highly preferred
- Knowledge of education, transportation and/or housing policy that impacts individuals with autism
- Flexible and eager to take on additional responsibility as needed
- Building Collaborative Relationships
- Customer Orientation
- Professional Behavior
- Results Driven
You are responsible for protecting the confidentiality, integrity and availability of all Autism Speaks data and information to which you have access.
Autism Speaks is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural, and inclusive workplace. We recruit, evaluate, employ, and promote candidates without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender identity or expression, protected veteran or military status, disability or other legally protected status. Qualified individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply for job openings. Reasonable accommodations will be provided. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.
About Autism Speaks:
At Autism Speaks, our mission is to promote solutions, across the spectrum and throughout the life span, for the needs of people with autism and their families. We do this through advocacy and support; increasing understanding and acceptance of people with autism spectrum disorder; and advancing research into causes and better interventions for autism spectrum disorder and related conditions. Together with our broad and diverse community, we strive every day to achieve our vision of a world where all people with autism can reach their full potential. This mission and vision drive every member of our staff; our employees are inspired, energized and motivated by the impact we can collectively have on behalf of the autism community.
Autism Speaks celebrates every success achieved to create a kinder, more inclusive world for people with autism, and we work collaboratively across departments to find solutions that will do the most good for the most people.
Just as we strive to enhance lives today and accelerate a spectrum of solutions for tomorrow for people on the spectrum, we also aim to enhance the lives of our dedicated employees, through thick and thin.
Salary & Benefits:
Autism Speaks offers a competitive compensation, benefit and vacation package. We also provide flex work hours, weekly training sessions, tuition reimbursement and summer bonus Fridays in addition to a creative, innovative, collaborative, inclusive, kind and fun work environment.
For consideration, please forward your resume and cover letter.
Job posted: 2021-07-11