Manager, Public Policy & Advocacy
The Manager of Public Policy and Advocacy drives the development and implementation of strategies designed to advance SEMI members’ public policy objectives through strategic partnerships with government and other industry groups. This position will work with policymakers, member companies, and other industry representatives to ensure U.S. public policies support innovation and growth in the microelectronics/semiconductor industry and throughout the complex and differentiated value chain.
This position will focus on federal research policies, programs and appropriations related to the microelectronics/semiconductor industry that are central to U.S. innovation policy and international competitiveness.
This is a full-time, exempt position that reports directly to the Vice President of Global Public Policy & Advocacy and is based in SEMI Washington, DC office.
Represent the public policy priorities of members to U.S. lawmakers, administration officials, and their staff:
- Work with government officials to facilitate understanding of a diverse, global, high-tech industry.
- Represent the association in coalition work with other industries to obtain shared desired outcomes.
- Directly participate in discussions to advance SEMI’s advocacy efforts, including but not limited to presentations, public testimonies, roundtable discussions, interviews, policymaker/lawmaker meetings, industry association meetings, etc. (development of material, prep, and participation).
Develop and execute strategies required to advance SEMI’s U.S. policy priorities:
- Manage activities along timelines required to meet overall SEMI objectives and goals.
- Lead/facilitate internal teams and external collaborations as necessary to successfully develop and implement policy proposals and lobbying strategies.
- Work closely with other SEMI staff members, member company representatives, external stakeholders, and subject matter experts.
- Ensure association participation in government forums and industry group meetings.
Support internal and external communications:
- Advise member executives and other employees on implications of pending public policy, draft policy papers, and supporting communications (including but not limited to internal communications, SEMI website updates, blog postings, articles, press releases, op-eds, testimony, talking points, meetings etc.)
- Manage SEMI’s Global Advocacy intranet site.
- Develop presentations and report on activities to ensure thorough communications.
- Support the development/execution of communication and marketing strategies; work with and provide input/material to the SEMI Communications team.
WHAT SUCCESS LOOKS LIKE:
- You have successfully advanced SEMI’s public policy objectives by effectively promoting the industry’s global interests, keeping member companies informed, and aligning policy makers with the industry’s positions. All activities reflect the highest degree of integrity and are aligned with SEMI vision and goals.
- You have successfully facilitated an efficient and effective two-way communication process to engage members.
CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational skills: ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and able to react to shifting priorities to meet business needs.
- Cooperative, flexible, team-oriented attitude
- Self-starter with strong, proactive work ethic and the ability to meet deadlines and commitments.
- Willingness to learn new tasks and a positive, service-oriented attitude.
- Be willing and able to travel both domestically and abroad.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in public policy, political science, or similar fields
- 5+ years of government or private sector public policy experience
- Familiarity with the issues affecting the semiconductor industry.
- Experience with developing and executing successful efforts to affect U.S. legislation/regulation and internal/external communication plans.
- Lobbying experience (must be willing/able to register as a lobbyist, as required)
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter with policy experience related to federal research programs and appropriations, excellent communication and writing skills, and a demonstrated ability to work independently, think broadly, and develop strategic approaches to problem-solving.
SEMI is the global industry association representing the electronics manufacturing and design supply chain, connecting over 2,400 member companies and 1.3 million professionals worldwide. SEMI members are responsible for the innovations in materials, design, equipment, software, devices, and services that enable smarter, faster, more powerful, and more affordable electronic products. Since 1970, SEMI has built connections that have helped its members prosper, create new markets, and address common industry challenges together. SEMI maintains offices in Berlin, Brussels, Hsinchu, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, Tokyo, Milpitas and Washington, D.C. For more information about SEMI, please visit us at SEMI.org
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-01-26