Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Manager of Public Relations
The Freedom Forum works to raise awareness of First Amendment freedoms through education, advocacy and action with a vision of an America where everyone knows, understands, values and defends the freedoms of religion, speech, press, assembly and petition.
The role of the Manager of Public Relations is to help further the Freedom Forum’s mission to foster First Amendment freedoms for all by coordinating a comprehensive media strategy, identifying new and creative storytelling opportunities, and by working with subject matter experts to help amplify their insights. The ideal candidate is an experienced public relations professional who has a broad understanding of First Amendment-related issues, has a natural interest in news and current events, and is a deeply strategic thinker. The right candidate will have at least eight years of PR experience, a strong and regular presence on social media, and they will be media trained and comfortable on camera. This position reports to the chief outreach officer.
- Develop and manage a public relations strategy, seeking high-level placements in print, broadcast and digital media
- Coordinate communications plans that include short and long-term strategies, goals, budgets and tactics.
- Write and distribute press releases and media advisories
- Conduct research and monitor media across print, broadcast, and digital/social media platforms
- Leverage existing media relationships and cultivate new contacts within education, legal, policy and advocacy media.
- Advise on advertising, social media and email marketing messaging strategy.
- Act as a spokesperson in print, TV and radio interviews on behalf of the Freedom Forum.
- Manage incoming media inquiries and interview requests for Freedom Forum experts.
- Coordinate a team of content experts, pitch their availability to local, national and international media organizations.
- Have the ability to coach and support senior leaders as spokespersons.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A passion for the First Amendment and the Freedom Forum’s mission. Broad knowledge and appreciation for modern First Amendment issues.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least six years of professional public relations, media relations, or other external communications experience, preferably in the journalism, nonprofit or advocacy fields.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills, with strong attention to detail.
- Experience as a media spokesperson.
- Experience managing public relations agencies and other vendors a plus.
- Ability and willingness to take initiative tackle new assignments and meet tight deadlines with fast turnaround times.
- Willingness and flexibility to work before/after hours and on weekends three to four times per year. Willingness to travel (domestic) up to six times per year.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Comfortable using the Office 365 suite, including collaborating on documents in SharePoint, communicating and scheduling with a team in Outlook calendar and email.
Location: Washington, D.C.
Salary: $115,000 – $125,000
Diversity and Inclusion Statement: Our Unique Differences Are Our Greatest Strength
Diversity is an integral part of the Freedom Forum’s history ̶ and it is vital to our future. Our founder, Al Neuharth, championed the hiring and promotion of women and minorities across the country as chair and CEO of Gannett. His legacy lives on at the Freedom Forum, where we are committed to creating an environment where everyone across race, gender, age, sexual orientation, sexual identity, religion, physical ability and life experience is respected, valued, encouraged and supported. Diversity fuels inclusion. Everyone offers a unique perspective; we welcome yours.
The Freedom Forum is committed to an ethical workplace, and our code of ethics reflects this commitment by promoting integrity, innovation, inclusivity, collaboration, accountability, respect and engagement. Competitive benefits include health, dental, vision and life insurance, as well as paid time off and a 401(k) Plan.
The Freedom Forum is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, age, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job posted: 2022-08-05