Manager, Public Relations
Our Mission: Increase investment and participation in 4‑H programs to support the next generation of true young leaders. National 4‑H Council (Council) is committed to providing leadership and resources so that 4‑H programs are available to youth across the US. Our executive leadership team and Board of Trustees are dedicated to the belief that helping kids achieve their boldest dreams empowers not only them but also our communities to thrive today, tomorrow, and beyond. Council supports national and state 4‑H programs with a focus on fundraising, brand management, communications, and legal and fiduciary services. Council also oversees the National 4‑H Conference Center, and the National 4‑H Supply Service, the authorized agent for items bearing the 4‑H Name and Emblem.
Council is currently seeking a Manager, Public Relations (PR) to manage, develop and implement brand reputation management, awareness and engagement-focused projects through celebrity alumni and supporters. This includes managing media outreach efforts at the national and select local market levels as well as leveraging content and storytelling assets to advance 4-H’s brand and revenue streams.
Reputation Management Duties
· Work in tandem with leadership to manage, develop, and execute a proactive and reactive brand reputation strategy.
· Support communications infrastructure needed to anticipate, prepare, and navigate any issues and crises that arise.
· Serve as the day-to-day contact flagging, monitoring, and managing potential issues.
· Develop and draft crisis plans, media strategies, reactive media statements, talking points, FAQs, memos, crisis simulations, and other deliverables as needed.
· Oversee and execute proactive and reactive media outreach and relations strategies as needed.
· Advise leadership, including C-Suite, on a range of critical reputational and positioning issues.
· Provide strategic insights across brand reputation, manage potential issues and crisis, and foster stakeholder engagement.
· Collaborate with Council Business Units (Resource Development, Shop 4-H, 4-H Center) and agency partners such as legal counsel, vendors, etc., as appropriate.
· Generate updates, reports, summaries, and PowerPoint presentations for the Marketing Leadership Team.
· Assist with other projects as required.
Brand PR and Media Relations Duties
· Develop and nurture relationships with key audiences (media, celebrities, third-party constituencies, among others) to convey 4-H’s brand message.
· Collaborate with PR agency partners to generate national 4-H media coverage, leveraging celebrity name, and influence.
· Engage in proactive media outreach and pitching that yields high-quality media placements.
· Draft, edit and disseminate communications materials such as press releases, media/photo advisories, op-ed articles, and other materials as required.
· Coordinate specific PR tasks and/or events with other departments and manage these projects’ implementation as necessary.
· Manage media opportunities and activations with celebrities and influencers, including arranging and covering radio, print, online, and television interviews/appearances – some of which may occur early mornings, evenings, or weekends.
· Manage proactive outreach to position key Council executives and spokespeople through earned media interviews and thought leadership opportunities.
· Identify and pursue industry awards and recognition opportunities that support the positioning of 4-H’s brand work.
· Support the development of brand thought leadership platform and serve as a lead point for developing earned media strategies and tactics that positioning 4-H positive youth development and utilize notable alumni and supporters to increase visibility and awareness.
· Develop and implement the strategy for ongoing earned media relationship management with key media contacts involved in nonprofit/philanthropy, youth, and parenting/family beats.
· Manage earned media monitoring process to track and report outcomes across the organization and among key stakeholders.
Project Management and Collaboration Duties
· Manage PR budgets; oversee and manage projects from start to completion.
· Design and maintain a cloud-based filing system for Team strategies, project trackers, and support documents accessible and easily located.
· Schedule meetings, create agendas, take meeting notes, and develop actionable next steps to drive effective project management.
· Communicate regularly with leadership and agency partners to keep up to date on brand reputation issues, public relations developments, and identify stories and optimal times for earned media.
· Liaise and collaborate with colleagues (i.e., Digital, Creative, Field Marketing, among others) to maximize relevant communications opportunities.
Administrative and Other Support Duties
· Participate and contribute updates during departmental meetings and work cross-functionally with other members of the team.
· Create/maintain media lists and provide consistent updates to supervisors.
· Research, participate and share professional development/learning opportunities with the Marketing and Brand team as appropriate.
Skills and Qualification
· Bachelor’s or advanced degree in PR, Marketing, or a related field with at least five to eight years of professional experience, including at least three years of relevant crisis issues and reputation management experience.
· At least three years of demonstrated experience managing media relationships and experience designing messages, pitches, and campaigns to secure media coverage.
· Experience executing PR campaigns with strategies and tactics connected to tangible metrics and outcomes.
· Experience writing and editing content for media publications and public speeches.
· Excellent written communications, interpersonal, organizational, planning, and time management skills with a proven ability to successfully handle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
· Detailed self-starter and creative problem solver, with the ability to work effectively with parties at all levels, including senior management, external partners, and support staff.
· Advanced professional computer skills with the required knowledge of MS Suites (Word, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Excel, and Outlook).
Travel Requirements: Travel may be necessary, up to 20% of the time (local, regional, national). Would require travel by air, car, rail.
Position typically has the following Career Ladder:
· Director, Public Relations
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-02-11