Manager, Public Relations and Corporate Communications
As a key member of the AWF global Public Relations & Corporate Communication team, and reporting to the Director, Public Relations & Corporate Communications, the manager helps develop and implement a public relations strategy that increases AWF’s brand awareness, clarifies brand experience and personalizes what AWF means to communities around the world through various events, engagements, interviews, op-eds and public facing opportunities. The manager’s geographic focus will be predominantly in the US market where priority stakeholders include funders, present and future, individual, corporate, and public and private institutions. As this is a new role within the organization, the successful candidate must be a self-starter with ability to build and maintain strong partnerships internally and externally.
Specific Responsibilities Include
- Lead media relations activities in North America, including fielding incoming press calls, providing media with requested information, scheduling interviews, prepping spokespeople for interviews, proactively developing relationships with media (including reporters, producers and editorial writers) and pitching story ideas.
- Assist Director in annual public relations and corporate communications planning, with specific responsibility for strategy, tactics, messages, channels, outcomes and measurements in North American markets to achieve organizational success.
- Serve as critical member of PR & CC team and larger Development & Communications team, providing media training where needed and in handling crisis communication
- Develop and manage bench of AWF influencer strategy amplify AWF voice, engage key stakeholder groups, and advance mission.
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization. Work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and manage the preparation of talking points, speeches, presentations, and other supporting material as needed.
- Create partnerships with other public relations professionals throughout the AWF network to ensure we are speaking with one voice, leveraging the best ideas and lifting up compelling stories across the enterprise.
- Support PR & CC team in the design of press materials, including media kits, op-eds, holding statements, talking points, executive media interview briefs, news releases, website content and fact sheets on organizational programs, initiatives and key messages.
- Facilitate and staff media interviews with appropriate staff persons and prepare appropriate briefing materials.
- Serve as an organizational spokesperson where appropriate.
- Manage external vendors as assigned (PR agency and news tracking services) to maximize the value of effectiveness of our internal staff and external partners.
- Serve as a highly positive and collaborative partner with colleagues throughout the organization.
- Work collaboratively with Corporate & Foundation relations team to develop public relations strategies to promote key initiatives such as the AWF Viacom and AWF Irdeto partnerships, as well as other key developing initiatives.
- Plan, coordinate and actively collaborate with the Director of Marketing & Creative and team responsible for overall organizational marketing, awareness, and digital strategies to reach new audiences, cultivate prospects, build ongoing brand affinity and drive revenue growth.
- Master’s degree in communications, journalism, public policy, international development, international relations, or another relevant field.
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience in strategic communications/public relations, preferably functioning as either a key spokesperson for an international organization, or a senior staff for a local, national and international media. Minimum of 5 years’ experience in senior management.
- Strong networking and interpersonal skills with proven people, leadership, communication and negotiation skills.
- Proven ability to effectively train executive communication skills, and to enhance both name and brand recognition of an international organization.
- Outstanding written communication skills including experience preparing press releases, news articles, presentations, video scripts, reports, promotional content, and other official communications and inter-agency/organization correspondence.
- Outstanding verbal communication skills including experience giving presentations and working with the media at events and conducting interviews
- Demonstrated success pitching and working with members of the media
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in informal and formal teams with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment
- Ability to proactively manage multiple work tasks in a timely, efficient manner
- Working knowledge of online media tracking tools
- International development, conservation, and non-profit experience is strongly desired
- Knowledge of French and/or other relevant languages a distinct and preferred advantage.
Job posted: 2019-11-25