Manager Public Relations – External Corporate Communications
We’re ALDI, one of America’s favorite grocers. We’ve grown a lot in the past few years, expanding our reach and customer base all around the country. Whether it’s in customer service or our exceptional products, we owe our success to the efficiencies we create in every corner of our company and the people at each level who make that happen.
We have a message to get out: we’re growing. Fast. ALDI is one of the fastest-growing retailers in the nation, and we are charting an aggressive growth course to become the third-largest U.S. grocery retailer by store count by the end of 2022. That’s why we need people dedicated to helping us connect with our new customers and keeping our current customers coming back for more! On our Marketing, Advertising and PR teams, you can do just that, showing the nation just what kind of company we are. With a thriving organization like ours, this can make for a rewarding career.
ALDI is seeking an experienced Communications leader to manage its Corporate Public Relations practice. Reporting to the Director of Communications, this individual will join a talented team of Marketing and Communications experts to protect and advance the organization’s reputation. The ideal candidate is highly strategic, thrives in a fast-paced environment and has a proven track record as a positive and motivating leader.
Position Type: Full-Time
Duties and Responsibilities:
Must be able to perform duties with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Implements and manages a corporate media relations strategy that elevates the profile of the brand; this includes national, trade and local business media.
• Partners with cross-functional teams to determine messaging and communication needs for the business.
• Works closely with leadership to manage company issues and crisis situations.
• Maintains PR agency partnerships to execute corporate communications initiatives.
• Acts as spokesperson for the organization and assists as the point person for rapid-response media needs.
• Manages the organization’s interaction with reporters, and media trains subject matter experts throughout the organization as necessary.
• Understands the overarching company strategy, as well as communicates and models the core values, of the organization to create a sense of teamwork and membership among employees.
• Consults with leadership on the development of their team’s strategy.
• Keeps up-to-date on external best practices and relevant changes to their field/area; communicates updates to leadership.
• Manages their team by driving projects and tasks to completion through effective prioritization, work planning, resource allocation, and cross-functional collaboration.
• Identifies cost-saving opportunities and potential process improvements.
• Serves as the primary link between their team’s staff and leadership to assure understanding of company goals, objectives, and opportunities for improvement.
• Establishes and communicates job responsibilities and performance expectations to their team to assure mutual understanding of desired results; resolves internal or external barriers that prohibit successful goal achievement.
• Assures the training, development, and performance of their team’s staff to retain a motivated, professional workforce that achieves their career objectives.
• Recruits and recommends qualified employees for their team’s staff positions.
• Approves all time-off requests for direct reports.
• Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, or a related field.
• A minimum of 7 years of progressive experience in Public Relations, in-house or agency experience with retail industry preferred.
• A combination of education and experience providing equivalent knowledge.
• Strong leadership skills and vast understanding of the corporate media landscape – from national news to industry trade media.
• Possess strong business acumen, excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to identify and respond to emerging topics, trends and issues impacting the industry.
• Assess risk and issues, providing proactive solutions..
• Good sense of judgment, discretion and confidentiality.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and proven experience working cross-functionally with departments like Customer Service and Corporate Responsibility.
• Experience working with Marketing and Internal Communications Teams.
• Experience interfacing with senior leadership, strong executive presence.
• Media trained and able to train company leadership.
• Expertise managing agency contracts and budget.
• Serve as spokesperson for the company, as needed.
• Mastery of AP style.
• Proficient computer skills (Microsoft Office suite), with expertise in PowerPoint.
• Minimal travel as needed.
• Entitled to claim travel expenses for performance of job duties and to pay for business partner’s expenses.
ALDI offers competitive wages and benefits, including:
- 401(k) Plan
- Company 401(k) Matching Contributions
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- PerkSpot National Employee Discount Program
In addition, eligible employees are offered:
- Medical, Prescription, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Generous Vacation Time & 7 Paid Holidays
- Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Life, Dependent Life and AD&D Insurance
- Voluntary Term Life Insurance
ALDI is committed to equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. As a proud Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE), we do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, religion, sex, sexual stereotyping, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), or any other protected characteristic. Employment may be contingent upon ALDI’s receipt of an acceptable and job-related drug test, motor vehicle report, and/or reference check, as applicable and permissible by law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-06-10