Manager, Public Relations – Portfolio Marketing
|Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?|
Brand Public Relations is an integral function of Marriott’s Global Communications & Public Affairs (GCPA) department which leads Corporate Communications, Media Relations, Internal Communications, Government Affairs, Social Impact, and Multicultural initiatives for the Company. The Manager, Public Relations, Portfolio Marketing is responsible for activation and management of Marriott International’s portfolio marketing communications. The position is responsible for a range of public relations initiatives and activations including media relations, media tours, trend spotting, special event management, public relations activities in conjunction with trade shows and business writing (e.g., talking points, newsletters, speeches, video and audio scripts, press releases, fact sheets etc.). This role also includes support around Marriott International’s Premium and Select brands portfolio as a whole, including event management, strategy development, pitch creation and liaising with multiple internal teams.
The Manager is also responsible for supporting the global development and implementation of portfolio-related public relations programs. The Manager will liaison closely with the brand marketing, digital and social teams, as well as with the teams within the Global Corporate Communications including Global Corporate Relations, Internal Communications, Corporate Social Responsibility and Government Affairs as needed. This position also helps manage multiple agencies (public relations, activation, promotions, etc.) across the portfolio.
This role reports to the Senior Director, Global Corporate Relations & Communications, Brand & Portfolio Marketing. This role can be based in New York City or Bethesda.
- Develops creative pitches and press releases that bundle portfolio-led news into one strategic story/theme.
- Manages weekly and monthly Corporate Communications updates to broader team.
- Conducts media/blogger outreach to major consumer, lifestyle, business and trade outlets, as well as blogs, television and radio, to generate consumer awareness on behalf of the portfolio.
- Develops various press materials, including press releases, briefing documents, talking points and speeches, in addition to brand PR toolkits that can be used across a wide variety of media outlets including digital and social.
PR Management & Execution:
- Under the direction of the Sr. Director, activates and implements annual public relations plan for portfolio marketing.
- Supports development of PR strategies for the portfolio, with contributions to the Premium and Select brands, as needed.
- Helps develops integrated public relations tools (e.g., tool kits, templates, newsletters) for use that support and elevate the level of public relations activity surrounding portfolio marketing efforts.
- Develop and manage media list creation and maintenance.
- Update the brand team(s) on pop culture and lifestyle trends.
- Tracks awards and entry requirements, as needed.
- Work’s cross-functionally with internal disciplines and departments (including Brand, Marketing, Social and M Live, Partnerships, Legal, Operations, Development, A&C, F&B, Consumer Insights, etc.) throughout the organization to enhance, develop and maintain PR programs and strategies. Provides recommendations to improve the effectiveness of PR processes and programs.
- Creates reports for presentation to stakeholders, including franchise advisory committees and system marketing fund committees.
- Provides public relations support and input at major regional, market, or brand meetings.
- Independently responds to and makes decisions on PR programs and initiatives for the assigned brands.
- Provides strategic support and tactical execution to further the company’s diversity goals, such as outreach to LGBT, women-focused consumers and other diversity angles, as well as corporate social responsibility into PR plans for brands.
- Executes various PR initiatives and programs for assigned brands and collaborates with team members in support of their brands within the portfolio.
- Manages brand/regional events, such as openings, press conferences, off-property events, conferences and media tours.
- Acts as brand representative and spokesperson internally within the organization and at external events.
- Increases awareness of brands internally, by creating internal communications, managing internal events, and working with internal stakeholders and their various communication channels.
Qualifications for Position:
- 4-year degree from an accredited university in public relations, communications, international studies, social sciences, journalism, marketing, business administration, or related major.
- 4+ years of relevant professional experience in public relations, media, marketing, business administration, or related function, demonstrating progressive career growth and pattern of exceptional performance.
- Knowledge of the media with established network of contacts across a spectrum of consumer and lifestyle outlets.
- Strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Creative thinker with experience identifying and executing communications for new ideas.
- Ability to work with all levels of the company, including senior management.
- A team player who is both curious and flexible.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, global environment.
- Highly focused self-starter with strong organizational and project management experience.
- Interest in pop culture and on top of key trends in luxury and lifestyle.
- Knowledge of and passion for the hospitality and travel/tourism industries.
- Excellent writing skills: ability to take complex issues and distill them into understandable content for press announcements.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-09-06