Manager, Southwest Public Policy and Government Affairs
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
The Waymo Policy and Government Affairs team has a front seat in this exciting moment in the evolution of autonomous vehicle, transportation and tech policy. Successful navigation of the policy landscape is critically important to deploying and scaling our business. Our team works directly with policymakers and third party groups at the national, state and local levels to help advance transportation policy, educate on the safety benefits of the technology, and advance consumer awareness and acceptance. Internally, our efforts support the innovative work of engineering, product, strategy, and partnerships teams, and we work closely with highly-skilled legal and safety experts.
In this role, you’ll:
- Engage directly with state and local policymakers, regulators, industry stakeholders, and key opinion leaders to shape policy and political dialogue in Arizona, New Mexico and Texas.
- Track current and emerging political activity at the city, county, and state level while developing and executing policy strategy that benefits Waymo’s users and business
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with local and state elected officials, their staff, regulators, and other key external stakeholders
- Work closely with other teams at Waymo to ensure up to date knowledge of company plans
- Develop and manage campaign style plans for our local and state policy initiatives
- Serve as a local expert who knows community dynamics, personalities and monitor on the ground events and sentiment and represent us in state and local trade associations
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Bachelor’s degree
- 8+ years of experience of public policy experience within government, or relevant nonprofit, public interest groups, companies, or industry associations; ideally at least 2+ years working specifically on technology or transportation policy issues
- Skilled and experienced at persuasively and diplomatically advocating complex policy positions before a wide variety of audiences
- Deep knowledge of Southwest state and local dynamics and decision makers. An established political network and community ties in the greater Phoenix area, Maricopa County, and ideally in New Mexico and Texas as well.
- Deep knowledge of Arizona, New Mexico and Texas state-level legislative and regulatory processes.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, and exceptional verbal and written communication skills
It’s preferred if you have:
- Knowledge of the policy environment surrounding self-driving passenger and commercial vehicles
- Knowledge of future of work, labor, and workforce development policy issues
- Knowledge of privacy, artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, and other public policy issues related to data-driven industries
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-02-13