Manager, Special Projects – Public Affairs
The mission of LeadersUp is to bridge the divide between the untapped potential of young people and the business challenge of finding and keeping the best talent. We believe strategic investments in human capital are the key to creating an economically inclusive society and widening the circle of opportunity for under-served communities. We strive to fulfill our mission by engaging employers to design, test, and sustain career pathway-centered talent solutions that are demand-driven and human-focused.
Established in 2013 by Starbucks Corporation and launched by forward-thinking business leaders, LeadersUp is an independent 501(c)3 nonprofit and social enterprise that works to address the burgeoning talent divide and the national youth disconnection crisis. Incorporated in the State of Washington, LeadersUp has market presence in Los Angeles, Chicago, and the San Francisco Bay Area with plans to expand into other markets across the nation. In addition to our youth development and workforce training services, we also provide industry analysis, program management, and technical assistance/strategy development for private, government, and nongovernment entities interested in connecting industry to the next generation of diverse talent.
LeadersUp seeks a Manager, Special Projects (“the Manager”) to support the Public Affairs & Communications team. The Manager will support and motivate cross-functional teams through planning, overseeing, and delivering assigned projects and special events from ideation through to completion. In this highly visible role, the Manager will partner with key leadership and external stakeholders in building vision and strategy, managing budgets, scheduling, and overseeing editorial calendars. Additionally, the Manager will provide support with copy, including editing and reviewing communications material to ensure integrity, as well as prepare research and analytic reports for leadership review. This role will also keep abreast of industry trends, issues, and opportunities to improve efficiency and better assist the team in making data-driven decisions and develop recommendations to implement.
– Use project management methods and tools to coordinate and oversee a project’s development pipeline, such as the distribution and delineation of deliverables per project schedule and requirements; and all other duties necessary to ensure its success.
– Provide leadership and guidance to ensure quality assurance during project execution.
– Develop and implement public affairs and communications plans; write and copyedit complex and/or sensitive communications that contribute to the editorial calendar.
– In partnership with the Marketing & Branding team, track audience engagement across various channels and make data-driven decisions.
– Assist and consult on the creation of external and internal stakeholder presentations as needed.
– Determine effectiveness and prepare research and analytic reports for management review.
– Identify issues, trends, and opportunities to improve efficiency and better assist the team; develop recommendations and implement.
– Other duties as assigned.
– 4-6 years of professional experience managing and leading projects in public relations, corporate philanthropy, and communications.
– Post-secondary education in disciplines such as public administration, communications, marketing, and project management is highly desirable.
– Superb project management skills with the ability to hold oneself and others accountable for high-quality, timely, and effective results.
– Strong experience with scheduling, budgeting, and project management software.
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as strong presentation and organizational skills.
– Proficiency with a variety of collaborative and business platforms, including Microsoft Office (e.g., Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Microsoft Project, etc.), Basecamp, and Google Suite, as well as ability to learn and become proficient in using company required software and applications.
– Experience with design platforms preferred (e.g., Adobe Creative Suite, Canva, etc.)
– Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
– High level of analytical, data interpretation, and problem-solving skills.
– Ability to be flexible and work collaboratively as a team within a dynamic, fast-paced, virtual work environment.
– Highly motivated and self-directed.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
– Frequently required to sit.
– Frequently required to hear.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
– Medical, dental, and vision (80/20 employer-paid).
– Generous time off, including 48 hours of sick time; 10 days of paid vacation each year during the first two years of employment; 15 paid holidays, including a holiday break between December 24th – January 1st.
– Work-from-home set up.
– 9/80 schedule.
– Other perks, including FSA, yearly team retreats, learning and professional development opportunities, and working alongside a dedicated team committed to making a difference to underserved communities.
How to Apply
LeadersUp is an equal opportunity employer committed to bridging the divide between the untapped potential of young people and the business challenge of finding and keeping the best talent. To apply, please submit your resume, writing samples (e.g., press release, communications/PR strategy, byline articles, etc), and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications without these materials will not be considered.
Due to a high volume of applications received, only successful candidates will be contacted.
Job posted: 2021-03-12