Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Manager, Standards, Government Affairs and Public Policy
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Government, Public Affairs or a relevant field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 10 years of experience working with government, think tanks, public interest groups, technology industry groups or corporations on issues around technology policy or workforce and related policy.
- JD, Master’s of Public Policy, or similar advanced degree in a technical field relevant to technology policy and/or standards.
- Demonstrated experience working with international teams and a variety of stakeholders, and in executing strategies to deliver exceptional solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to understand the business implications of public policy and experience working closely with and advising relevant internal stakeholders, including Product and Engineering.
- Demonstrated government relations skills, with the ability to integrate public policy with business strategy.
- Excellent personal, political, analytical and communication skills, with the ability to maintain attention to detail.
About the job
As a member of Google’s Government Affairs and Public Policy team, you’ll be part of a diverse global government affairs team, working across regions, product areas, and functions. You’ll combine creativity and intellectual excellence with the organizational skills to manage various campaigns, projects and initiatives. In this role, you’ll advocate for Google to bring external perspectives back into the company to inform our perception and direction. You’re passionate about the opportunity to shape the future of how we use and build technology for everyone.
As the Standards Public Policy Manager, you will develop public policy ideas and an agenda around global standards bodies like the International Organizations for Standardization and standards setting.
Externally, you’ll identify opportunities and manage efforts to engage policymakers and key opinion formers inside and outside government. Technology moves quickly, so it’s important that we work closely with politicians, regulators, academics, and third parties around the challenges that affect the Internet and our users.
Internally, you will collaborate with cross-functional colleagues in Product Management, Engineering, Legal, Trust and Safety, PR, and Marketing to advance Google’s public policy and business objectives. In addition, you will help advise our internal teams on the public policy implications of products and decisions, working with a closely coordinated and cross-functional global team.
Google takes its responsibilities seriously, including engaging with government and other stakeholders on important public policy challenges. The Government Affairs and Public Policy (GAPP) team leads the company’s engagement with executive branch officials, legislators, regulators and third-parties in the formation of public policy. Working closely with Google leaders, GAPP seeks to identify key policy issues, listen carefully to others’ views and opinions, and distill and share the company’s perspective on those issues with external stakeholders. While we focus on challenges affecting the internet, our issue areas are increasingly broad and encompass many areas where public policy, business, and technology intersect.
- Develop Google’s policy positions on global standards setting bodies policies around things like artificial intelligence, Cloud services, 5G, broadband, cybersecurity and more while working with cross-functional colleagues, key external opinion formers, and regulators to inform the development of such policy positions.
- Identify opportunities to engage standards-setting bodies to support cross-border harmonization and interoperability in line with our team coordination on international organizations.
- Develop and build cross-functional support for strategies that promote thought-leadership and engagement around standards-setting policies.
- Work closely with internal stakeholders to provide advice on matters related to standards setting.
- Support global teams that work with trade associations, industry partners, non-profit groups, and other allies to help shape a positive policy and regulatory regime around standards setting.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-06-22