Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Manager of State and Federal Government Relations
The Manager of State and Federal Government Relations is a vital staff position for Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety (Advocates) (www.saferoads.org). Founded in 1989, Advocates is a (501)(c)(4) lobbying organization with board members representing leading consumer, public health, safety and law enforcement organizations and the major property and casualty insurance companies and associations working together to advance laws, regulations and programs to prevent motor vehicle crashes, deaths and injuries. It is a highly successful organization whose views are sought by Members of Congress, state legislators, government officials, public health and safety organizations, and opinion leaders.
The position assists and reports to the Director of Government Relations and to the Senior Director of Advocacy and State Legislation, both of whom report directly to the President. However, all of Advocates’ staff members engage in frequent collaboration and coordination on federal and state policy issues and strategies. The ideal candidate should have experience and working knowledge of federal and/or state legislative processes, ability to plan and implement advocacy strategies, excellent writing skills, strong interpersonal and organizational skills as well as proficiency in handling multiple tasks in a fast-paced working environment.
Primary Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Monitor, track and analyze federal and state legislation and related policy issues to determine possible impact on highway and auto safety policies, programs and laws.
- Prepare informational and advocacy materials including legislative summaries, fact sheets, talking points, letters and position papers on safety issues.
- Assist in the development, coordination and implementation of grassroots advocacy initiatives and coalition building and prepare call-to-action alerts.
- Effectively communicate Advocates’ priorities on Capitol Hill, in state legislatures and with other safety partners and stakeholders.
- Establish and maintain relationships with legislative staff, government officials, thought leaders, and relevant safety, public health and consumer organizations.
- Attend legislative and agency hearings, meetings and informational events including conferences, coalition meetings and working groups on behalf of Advocates.
- Support special projects and events including in-person and virtual press conferences, Board of Directors meetings, Congressional receptions, annual state legislative report, and others as necessary.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum of 3-4 years of relevant experience on the staff of an elected official or in the areas of government/legislative affairs in the private sector or with a non-profit organization, and/or involvement in a political campaign.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the legislative process and ability to analyze information and prepare concise and comprehensive written and oral reports.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to deal professionally with persons inside and outside of the organization concerning Advocates’ safety priorities.
- Ability to work independently yet cooperatively and collaboratively with Advocates’ staff and others.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a high-pressure environment, often under tight deadlines, while maintaining keen attention to detail.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Please email a cover letter explaining your interest and qualifications for the position and a copy of your resume to Lisa Drew, email@example.com. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Thank you for your interest in the position.
Job posted: 2022-09-12