Manager of State Government Affairs & Public Policy
Puget Sound Energy is looking to grow our community with like-minded, top talented individuals like you! With our rapidly growing, award winning energy efficiency programs, our pathway to an exciting and innovative future is now.
PSE’s Rates & Regulatory team is looking for qualified candidates to fill an open Manager of State Government Affairs & Public Policy position!
The position is responsible for managing the state government relations team and coordinates across departments within PSE to lead our advocacy efforts in Olympia. It is responsible for managing complex government affairs policy initiatives aligned with PSE’s business strategies and customer needs; which requires the skills of an experienced public affairs professional who can successfully build relationships and coalitions with government and civic officials. Addionally, the position requires the ability to execute government affairs strategies, provide counsel on public affairs matters related to PSE’s corporate initiatives and manage state department budget functions
All postions at PSE promote and support a culture of total safety, including upholding the safety compliance standards inherent in PSE’s operating and/or field procedures.
Employee Safety, Development & Team Building – Provide employees with coaching, feedback, and developmental opportunities and building effective teams:
- Provides leadership support to team to achieve employee, business, customer and safety results; set clear expectations and holds employees accountable for performance as well as safety goals/targets.
- Promotes and supports a culture of total safety including conducting safety audits and inspections, eliminating hazards and near misses, and attending safety meetings.
- Sets clear expectations and holds employees accountable for performance as well as safety goals/targets where applicable.
- Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions. Ensures required training is successfully completed.
- Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results.
- Accountable to ensure employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements, as well as safety standards.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to team members in order to achieve employee, business, and customer and safety results.
Direct responsibility for all state government affairs and public policy functions which includes advocacy, policy tracking and analysis, managing a team, including consultants, building and maintaining relationships, and political giving strategy.
- Develops and manages relationships with key constituents, including but not limited to: statewide and legislative elected officials, state agency staff, grassroots leaders, and public affairs groups critical to ensure PSE’s ability to successfully provide safe and reliable natural gas and electric service.
- Analyze complicated energy and climate policy and work with internal subject matter experts to understand impacts to customers. Understands utility operations and public policy issues.
- Articulately develops and delivers, both verbally and in writing, PSE messages, including comments to legislative committees, regulatory agencies, presentations to key constituencies, etc
- Sets and manages governmental affairs strategy to advance/protect PSE’s public policy interests with state government and state agencies.
- Coordinates with federal and local governmental affairs teams to advance PSE public policy initiatives and ensure synchronization of all governmental affairs efforts.
- Represents PSE on relevant boards, commissions, and through other channels with key constituency groups.
- Develops and manages state government affairs budget.
- Defines parameters, negotiates contracts, and manages consultant relationships.
- Develops and manages operating and investment budgets to advance PSE interests.
- Manages PSE’s engagement, including expenditures, in political campaigns.
- Supports project management, by advocating with key constituency groups and leading community outreach efforts on major PSE projects.
- Supports PSE officer team and other functional groups, regarding policy and political issues that impact PSE programs and initiatives.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, public administration, communications, political science, or related field; or equivalent combination of education and/or applicable work experience may be considered.
- 7 years’ experience in government, public policy and/or public affairs arena.
- 4 years supervisory experience.
- Strategic agility, problem solving, process management, managerial courage, and excellent communication/writing skills (to including public speaking).
- Advanced knowledge of governmental processes and public policy development.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with government/community leaders, coalitions and special interest groups.
- Broad knowledge of gas and electric utility rates, business objectives, to include operations, customer service, finance, and corporate relations.
Families and businesses depend on PSE to provide the energy they need to pursue their dreams. Our steadfast commitment to serving Washington communities with safe, dependable and efficient energy started in 1873. Today we’re building the Northwest’s energy future through efforts like our award winning energy efficiency programs and our leadership in renewable energy.
At PSE we value and respect our employees and provide them opportunities to excel. We offer an expansive pay package that includes competitive compensation, annual goals-based incentive bonuses, comprehensive benefits, 401(K), a company paid retirement pension plan, and an employee assistance and wellness program.
Puget Sound Energy is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all qualified applicants. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status or presence of a disability that with or without reasonable accommodation does not prevent performance of the essential functions of the job, or any other category prohibited by local, state or federal law.
Should you have a disability that requires assistance and/or reasonable accommodation with the job application process, please contact the Human Resources Staffing department at email@example.com or 425-462-3017.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-10-16