Manager State Government Affairs/Senior Manager, State Government Affairs
Manager State Government Affairs/Senior Manager, State Government Affairs – Michigan
Genentech’s State and Local Government Affairs (SLGA) team within External Affairs and the Government Affairs and Market Access Department is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Senior Manager, State Government Affairs. The Senior Manager will be responsible for working collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders across their region of assigned states and field ecosystems to develop relationships and influence legislative and executive policy decisions, while supporting the needs of patients, customers, and Genentech’s business goals.
The Senior Manager’s responsibilities will include:
- Advocating and lobbying on the company’s behalf with state legislatures and executive branches, assisting in the development of legislative policy positions, drafting of amendments, preparing and delivering testimony. Attending and representing Genentech at legislative hearings, meetings and events;
- Being a strategic advisor and partner to field-based ecosystem leaders and teams, as well as home office business partners, on engagement with state policymakers to advance Genentech’s policy and business objectives;
- Serving as an executional catalyst for the ecosystem leadership teams. The Senior Manager will develop a deep understanding of their region and ecosystems’ business priorities, needs, and regional nuances to incorporate into their own planning and execution activities;
- Preparing briefings and/or presentations to keep internal partners, ecosystems, and other stakeholders abreast of evolving state legislation, regulations, reimbursement policies and executive branch decisions that may impact Genentech patients, products, or other business activities and goals;
- Developing and sustaining strategic relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, including but not limited to: Genentech ecosystems, elected officials and staff, relevant state agencies and departments, industry partners, trade association, third party stakeholder groups – including advocacy partners – and identifying opportunities for shared legislative/policy objectives;
- Registering as a state lobbyist, completing any required training and reporting requirements, as well as managing contract lobbyists and association member engagement. The Senior Manager, as well as other employees, are fully accountable for compliance with all laws, regulations and policies that govern the conduct of Genentech activities.
Core Competencies/Skills Required
The Senior Manager, State Government Affairs will use the following skills/competencies to advance Department, team and cross-functional business objectives and achieve results:
- Technical & Business Expertise: Candidates should possess in-depth knowledge and understanding of state governments, legislative processes and health care related policy issues. Qualified candidates will have experience assessing the impact of proposed and enacted federal and state policies on Genentech’s portfolio, including the understanding of political dynamics and realities that support or pose barriers to business and ecosystem priorities.
- Achieving Results: Qualified candidates will have experience anticipating trends, identifying internal and external opportunities, and driving for positive results. He/she will possess experience setting short and long term objectives and working with leaders, facilitating collaboration and creating successful engagement strategies with demonstrated evidence of successful partnering with internal and external stakeholders.
- Communication: Candidates must have the ability to translate complex policy and political dynamics and tailor the messages to a wide variety of audiences. He/she will have the ability to create and edit written documents and oral presentations/documents for internal and external stakeholders. Candidates will possess experience and skill presenting to stakeholders at all levels and the ability to engage with individuals and groups to achieve alignment on key issues, actions and initiatives.
- Strategic Agility: Qualified candidates will have the ability to identify timely opportunities and threats for Genentech’s full portfolio in assessing the local/state political, advocacy, policy and health care market landscape in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders, including ecosystems. Demonstrated responsibility for developing and managing projects effectively and efficiently, with the ability to multi-task simultaneously on competing priorities.
- Teamwork & Collaboration: Candidates should have a demonstrated ability to develop, evaluate and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including ecosystems. He/she will have a clear understanding of strategies and tactics required to advance an agenda while maintaining influence and credibility in a multi-stakeholder environment. The successful candidate will have the ability to support Department leadership and others in training, coaching, and mentoring of team members and support other work across the Department, as appropriate.
Candidates for this position should hold the following additional qualifications:
- A BA or BS is required; a graduate degree is preferred. Qualified candidates should have a minimum of 10 years of relevant post-college professional experience. Government Affairs, public policy, or related field relevant post-college professional experience is preferred.
- Previous political experience preferred, i.e. working in a state legislative setting or executive branch, and demonstrated knowledge of the state government legislative process and standard approaches for influencing legislative and rulemaking outcomes.
- Previous experience working with trade associations or other key groups that influence public policy at the state level and biotechnology, pharmaceutical or related industry experience is strongly preferred.
- This position requires significant use of either a company provided or personal vehicle to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the role. As a result, Genentech, Inc. (Company) from time to time will check your motor vehicle record for purposes of determining your eligibility for driving a Company vehicle or driving any vehicle on Company business.
- Candidate must reside within driving distance of Lansing Michigan
Position is anchored in Lansing Michigan and is field based. The MI region includes the states of Indiana, Missouri, and Kansas. The candidate must reside within region. Travel within the region is expected and required. Travel will also be required outside of the region for national and/or internal Genentech meetings, and additional external conferences/meetings as appropriate. Travel is expected to constitute up to 60% of the Senior Manager’s time.
CMG Operating Principles
Who We Are
A member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry for more than 40 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and life-threatening diseases. Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer & other serious illnesses. Please take this opportunity to learn about Genentech where we believe that our employees are our most important asset & are dedicated to remaining a great place to work.
The next step is yours. To apply today, click on the “Apply online” button.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers page.
Job posted: 2020-07-20