Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Manager, State Government Affairs, Southeast
Role Context and Challenges
A global information solutions company is seeking a state government affairs professional to join its global government affairs team. The mission of the global government affairs team is to protect the company’s businesses from harmful public policy initiatives and to support business development opportunities. The candidate will have primary responsibility for identifying and addressing legislative and regulatory threats in seven Southeastern states (AL, FL, GA, NC, SC, TN, KY). Priority issues include: information policy, privacy, data security, access to government records, insurance, health information technology, scientific publishing and related issues. The candidate will also be responsible for working with the sales teams on business development and procurement initiatives and help pursue new and renewal government-funded business opportunities. The candidate will be based in the region, with preferences for Tallahassee, Nashville, Atlanta, or Raleigh and requires regular travel.
The key objectives are:
- Positively influence legislative and regulatory proposals and policy initiatives of interest to the company and its businesses.
- Build coalitions with industry and business peers to achieve public policy goals and objectives.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key legislators and staff, Executive Branch officials, and other public policy makers.
- Remove obstacles and support business development and procurement initiatives that will position businesses to pursue new government-funded business opportunities.
Main Tasks and Accountabilities:
- Legislative Tracking and Monitoring: Review pending legislation and regulations in seven Southeastern states to identify legislative and regulatory proposals of concern.
- Lobbying and Government Affairs Support: Develop and implement effective government affairs strategies in key Southeastern states. Work closely with business representatives to identify potential business opportunities and legislative/regulatory threats. Actively lobby on behalf of the company and its businesses. Direct and manage contract lobbyists to support public policy objectives and pursue business development opportunities.
- Coalition Building: Actively participate in industry coalitions and trade associations to promote public policy objectives. Leverage support from coalitions and trade associations to effectively lobby on priority issues.
- Systems and Tools: Proficient use of technology to meet government affairs objectives.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree with at least 2-5 years of state government affairs experience.
- Strong knowledge of state legislative and regulatory processes.
- Experience as a state legislative or committee staffer
- Experience as a single state or multi-state lobbyist
- Strong influencing skills that can be used to coordinate projects, and drive initiatives
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Experience in directing and managing contract lobbyists
- Proven track record in building and working effectively with coalitions and trade
- Proactive and self-starter / Highest personal and business ethics
About the Company:
RELX is a world leading provider of professional information solutions in the Business, Risk Management, Government, Medical, and Science sectors. RELX employees over 33,000 employees in over 285 locations worldwide. US businesses include: LexisNexis Risk Solutions, LexisNexis Legal & Professional, Elsevier, and Reed Exhibitions. Our customers are using our products every day to evaluate risk, forge business relationships, gain business insight, advance science, improve medical outcomes, and enable better legal decisions.
We put the highest priority on recruiting, developing and retaining outstanding people. Our managers are directly responsible for the development of their people. We recognize and reward achievement. We enjoy what we do and we celebrate success. We empower our people to maximize their potential and contribution. We respect our people and believe in open and honest communication. We behave in an ethical and principled manner. We are an employer of choice, attracting and developing talented and creative people who thrive in a challenging and fast-paced environment. We offer an excellent compensation and benefits package as well as a real opportunity for career growth in a growing organization. RELX is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
RELX is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact email@example.com or if you are based in the US you may also contact us on 1.855.833.5120..
Job posted: 2022-09-06