Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Manager of State & Local Affairs
TO APPLY: Click here to apply online.
ABC’s Position Descriptions are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent(s) of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position. ABC’s Position Descriptions do not create a contract, express or imply, or other legal rights between ABC and any staff member, nor guarantee employment or specific duties for any specific duration. ABC may add, change, delete, suspend or discontinue any of these positions and descriptions at any time without prior notice.
Founded in 1950, Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) is a national construction industry trade association representing more than 21,000 members. Founded on the merit shop philosophy, ABC and its 69 chapters help members develop people, win work and deliver that work safely, ethically and profitably for the betterment of the communities in which ABC and its members work. Visit us at abc.org.
The Manager of State and Local Affairs will report directly to the Vice President of Regulatory, Labor and State Affairs. This position will support the national association’s state and local government affairs and labor relations activities. This position will require the ability to understand the association’s priority issues, the legislative process and how to work collaboratively with lawmakers, association and industry stakeholders throughout the country.
State and Local Government Affairs
- Manages ABC National’s state and local government affairs program at the direction of ABC National’s Vice President of Regulatory, Labor and State Affairs.
- Promotes the merit shop agenda to state and local political organizations, private construction owners/users/contractors and state and local lawmakers via educational outreach and direct lobbying.
- Manages contract lobbyists assisting ABC chapters at state and local level.
- Utilizes ABC National’s legislative tracking service to identify and monitor key legislation and alert ABC National and ABC chapter staff about legislative, regulatory and political developments in a timely manner.
- Produces ABC National state and local government affairs publications, including ABC National’s model legislative guide,state policy scorecard and other best practice resources.
- Addresses state and local affairs customer service requests from ABC members and chapter staff related to core ABC issues.
- Supports ABC National and chapter staff efforts and campaigns in support of key issues..
- Assists with the development and upkeep of key ABC National resources, including a blog and several publications.
- Assists chapters in developing written outreach materials, including creating and directing media materials and digital advocacy campaigns.
- Scans government proposals and media for stories related to core ABC issues, engages in social media, relays intelligence and suggests strategy to appropriate stakeholders.
- Ensures ABC stakeholders have necessary resources and expertise to address key labor-related issues.
- Participates in National and chapter fundraising activity for ABC National’s advocacy and PAC activities.
- Stays informed about federal legislation and regulations that will impact state and local governments, members and chapters.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of legislative process at the state and local levels.
- Ability to research and analyze issues related to governmental actions and policy proposals.
- Public speaking before industry and association stakeholders and lawmakers.
- This position is based in Washington, D.C., and requires a moderate amount of travel to ABC National and chapter conferences, industry events, state legislative conferences and state legislatures (approximately 20 percent to 30 percent of the incumbent’s time).
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, or equivalent work experience.
- Four years of successful experience in a Congressional or state legislative office, a legislative monitoring/consulting firm, a public policy advocacy organization or in a government or Congressional affairs office of a corporate, trade or professional association preferred.
To achieve our mission, we hire energetic and fun-loving individuals who possess the following skills:
- Professional demeanor and presentation of self.
- Ability to organize and manage several priorities simultaneously while working under pressure and deadlines.
- Excellent oral and written communication, proofreading and editing skills.
- Organizational awareness & resourcefulness – understanding of whom to engage in order to identify solutions & resolve issues.
- Strong organization, multi-tasking and time management skills with the ability to work in a demanding work schedule.
- Effectively utilizes tools/resources to work efficiently.
- Ability to take ownership of a process and to use problem solving skills to resolve issues.
- Demonstrates the highest level of personal and ethical standards.
- Work accurately with close attention to detail.
- It is the continuing policy of ABC to take affirmative action to assure equal opportunity for all current and prospective employees without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, personal appearance, marital status, familial status, family responsibility, pregnancy or other pregnancy-related conditions, childbirth, disability, military/veteran status, citizenship status, religion or political affiliation, past convictions or incarceration, prior psychiatric treatment, or any other status protected by federal or state law, local ordinance or Executive Orders. ABC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- ADA: ABC will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
Job posted: 2021-12-26