Manager, State & Local Government Affairs
Start Your Journey With Us
The Social Impact and Public Affairs team at Marriott International corporate headquarters in Bethesda, Maryland is responsible for public policy advocacy, social responsibility, external stakeholder engagement and a range of initiatives and partnerships which aim to connect the company with communities and governments to drive positive social and business outcomes.
Within this team, the Government Affairs group has responsibility for: (i) assessing business objectives and developing supportive public affairs strategies; (ii) monitoring, reviewing, and influencing federal, state, and local legislative and regulatory activity impacting operations; (iii) managing external relationships with industry professionals, associations and coalitions advancing public policy that benefits our company and associates; (iv) guiding operational units engaging with government officials; and (v) overseeing company-wide political compliance and campaign giving, including managing Marriott’s Political Action Committee (MARPAC).
The Manager, State & Local Government Affairs will be a key member of Marriott International’s Government Affairs group, supporting the company’s public policy and advocacy objectives through legislative analysis, direct advocacy, grassroots engagement and development of internal and external communications content. In consultation with the Director of State and Local Government Affairs, this role will engage with state and local government and staff to augment company advocacy activities and support hotel operations.
This position reports to the Director of State and Local Government Affairs.
The primary responsibilities of the Manager, State & Local Government Affairs will be as follows:
- Support Marriott’s state and local advocacy activities by:
- Managing state and local policy issues, including tracking legislation and regulations impacting business operations, and working collaboratively with Director to develop and execute effective lobbying plans consistent with business objectives;
- Attending advocacy meetings and events with key state and local government leaders and their staffs;
- Developing and maintaining business relationships with key state/local officials and their staffs, including through attending political events representing the company;
- Planning and executing events to educate policymakers, staff and influencers about Marriott’s community initiatives to bolster reputational capital; and
- Representing the company with external trade associations and coalitions, informing and shaping their advocacy platforms consistent with company policy priorities.
- Develop, edit and update state and local content in Government Affairs communications assets, to include:
- Legislative and policy-related resources such as issue papers, talking points, speeches and letters for use by advocacy team, field leadership and senior executives;
- Grassroots calls to action or briefing documents to support associate, property-level, hotel owner and/or franchisee engagement in state and local legislative activity;
- Other regular updates on Government Affairs and political activities, including presentations, intranet content refreshes, and internal newsletters;
- External-facing content in collaboration with other Global Communications and Public Relations functions to ensure message alignment on public policy issues; and
- Development of content to policy-making stakeholders, including strategic state/local outreach, highlighting Marriott’s presence in and contributions to communities.
- Assist with other Government Affairs projects and grassroots functions, to include:
- Managing all grassroots activations, coordinating with Manager, Government Affairs on federal content;
- Organizing and coordinating “fly-ins” or Government Affairs Days at the state and local level for internal leaders;
- Regular updates and presentations to Marriott’s Business Councils,
- Supporting site visits from state and local elected leaders, and;
- Attending events with other community/non-governmental stakeholders.
- Requirements for Position:
Successful candidates should possess knowledge and experience as follows:
- Four-year college degree with studies in political science, public policy or a related field;
- Minimum of 4 years of experience working in a Congressional office or an equivalent state or local legislative office, in a legislative affairs, communications or policy role within a federal or state agency, or in a government relations role;
- Familiarity with legislative and political processes with state/local experience preferred;
- Demonstrated experience drafting and writing political or policy communications; experience with grassroots organization and/or coalition management also a plus;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate effectively, including:
- Ability to relate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders;
- Ability to build, facilitate and participate in collaboration between diverse groups;
- Ability to effectively interpret and address needs of diverse constituents; and
- Ability to integrate data effectively and work diplomatically with a broad range of individuals, including senior management and government officials.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills, with attention to detail;
- Self-starter who takes initiative and follows through on tasks to completion;
- Ability to work independently;
- Demonstrated ability to articulate and sythesize complex issues and present information effectively to diverse audiences;
- Ability to work well under pressure, set and adapt to continually changing workload priorities, and effectively manage multiple tasks with minimal supervision;
- Ability to independently identify and analyze problems/issues, assess risks, create and evaluate alternative solutions, and recommend a course of action;
- Ability to maintain security and confidentiality of sensitive information;
- Flexibility to travel and attend evening events when appropriate.
Learn more here
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.
Job posted: 2020-08-31