Manager of State and Local Relations
Nikola is looking for an experienced Manager of State and Local Relations to support Nikola’s efforts to develop, track and advance legislation, incentive programs and relationships that support the commercial development and market penetration of zero emission vehicles and infrastructure. The position will report directly to the Sr. Manager of External Affairs and Public Policy.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for clean transportation, cultivating relationships with state and local elected officials and key industry stakeholders, deep knowledge of state and local policymaking, advocating policies and programs that can transform industries and experience providing testimony and written correspondence to state/local elected officials and agencies/organizations. Familiarity with a typical start-up environment complimented by experience working within larger companies in a government affairs, public affairs and/or lobbying capacity is a plus.
- Work collaboratively with Sr. Manager of External Affairs and Public Policy to cultivate, advocate and advance Nikola’s presence, engagement and policy priorities in key states and markets that support the company’s mission and goals for a zero emissions future.
- Build relationships with key policymakers, committee and agency staff, and industry stakeholders to advance legislation and incentive program opportunities that benefit Nikola’s key business areas: on-road, off-road and infrastructure.
- Identify key issues and Develop state legislative agendas and strategies and outreach plans/contact lists, as appropriate.
- Identify key issues and Develop local market agendas and strategies and outreach plans/contact lists, as appropriate.
- Track, influence and advocate on key legislation and incentive programs to elected officials, government agencies and third parties (e.g. industry trade organizations, NGOs).
- Identify state and local incentives and funding opportunities available for zero emission fleets, including heavy-duty, refuse and light-duty trucks, charging/fueling infrastructure and hydrogen fuel and renewable energy production.
- Maintain state and local database of all incentive opportunities noted above and contacts.
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders on state/local advocacy efforts as well as potential funding and incentive opportunities.
- Coordinate and collaborate with internal and external resources to comply with all requirements associated with grant funding awards and tracking of state and local incentives as appropriate.
- Proven work experience in government relations, external affairs, or similar role
- Solid experience coordinating lobbying efforts (both proactive and reactive) and developing strategic legislative agendas and outreach plans
- Strong ability to read and interpret public policy and excellent writing skills – including the ability to develop recommendations and/or propose regulatory and legislative language that will advance Nikola’s mission and business objectives
- Expertise in understanding and applying for funding opportunities
- Excellent communication and presentation skills with confidence to serve as the company’s spokesperson at public hearings and with elected and government officials
- Experience in sustainability, energy, alternative fuels and/or vehicles are assets
- Proven ability to work in a fast paced, highly matrixed and dynamic environment
- Experience in effectively working cross-collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders
- At minimum, a Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Political Science, Public Administration/Policy, Communications, Journalism or History or relevant field, plus 10+ years of demonstrated applicable work experience
- A creative thinker with the ability to understand how your area of expertise fits within “The Big Picture”
- A team player and self-starter
- Adept at nurturing relationships and thinking strategically
Candidates must have current U.S. work authorization or be TN eligible from Mexico or Canada. This position is not eligible for CPT or OPT.
Equal Employment Opportunity statement (EEO)
Nikola Motor Company™ is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, medical condition, pregnancy, veteran status, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-11-03