Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Manager, US Government Relations
Looking for a company that inspires passion, courage and creativity, where you can be on the team shaping the future of global commerce? Want to shape how millions of people buy, sell, connect, and share around the world? If you’re interested in joining a purpose driven community that is dedicated to crafting an ambitious and inclusive work environment, join eBay – a company you can be proud to be a part of!
eBay Inc., a global commerce platform, seeks to add to its team in Washington, D.C. with an experienced individual in U.S. federal legislative affairs. The Manager, Government Relations, will play a vital role in advancing key objectives for eBay and the government relations team by support eBay’s policy advocacy priorities, leading coordination amongst the Americas government relations and other internal teams, and managing eBay’s Political Action Committee (PAC).
Founded in 1995, eBay Inc. connects people and builds communities to create economic opportunity for all. We are a worldwide ecommerce leader connecting millions of sellers and buyers in more than 190 markets around the world. Our technology empowers our customers, providing everyone the opportunity to grow and thrive – no matter who they are or where they are in the world. The ripple effect of our work creates waves of change for our customers, our company, our communities and our planet.
The Manager, U.S. Government Relations will serve as a critical member of the Washington, D.C.-based advocacy and government relations team. The Manager will work closely with eBay’s U.S. federal and state government relations team to develop goals and strategies on public policy issues critical to the success of eBay and its seller community, and to support and implement those strategies with the U.S. federal and state teams. The Manager is expected to be able to help identify critical partners, cultivate key relationships, and drive success on issues vital to the company.
A successful candidate for this role must be able to represent eBay Inc. in federal lobbying work on its full spectrum of priority issues, including in the areas of technology, intermediary liability, intellectual property, tax, trade, immigration, and others. The Manager will report to the Director & Head, US Federal Affairs.
The successful candidate, in working closely with the US federal GR team, will also manage the eBay Inc. Political Action Committee (PAC) and be responsible for managing PAC board meetings, planning and driving PAC recruitment, and coordinating compliance and reporting efforts.
The Manager is expected to have opportunities to interact with executive level management at the company. Therefore, an ability to communicate complex political and government relations issues and corresponding actions is imperative. The successful candidate must also have superb organizational, communication and written skills. The Manager will be required to draft materials on behalf of senior leaders, including but not limited to briefing materials, talking points and testimony. This individual must be able to manage and prioritize multiple assignments, and must be willing to dive in and learn a range of issues and articulate, both verbal and written, substantive policy analysis including constructive communication to internal partners. This individual must be highly motivated to engage with both internal and external partners and be a strong advocate for eBay’s public policy priorities, and must also be a teammate who puts a premium on collaboration and working collaboratively with the current members of the Americas GR team. Most importantly, the candidate must demonstrate an enthusiasm for the entire eBay community – both internally and externally.
- The successful candidate should either have a Bachelors degree and at least five years’ experience in politics or government, ideally including at least three years of experience in Washington, D.C. (working on the Hill, in lobbying, in-house government relations, industry associations, the executive branch); or a post-Bachelors graduate education and at least five years’ of relevant experience in Washington, D.C.
- Strong understanding and experience working on issues important to the technology and small business industry
- Prior experience in e-commerce advocacy and policy work advantageous
- Active user and advocate of eBay highly desired
Skills & Competencies
The candidate will also be able to demonstrate a strong track record in the following areas:
- Delivering hard-working, creative and effective strategies in government relations work, including managing budget and metrics.
- Superb verbal, written and editing skills.
- Seasoned government relations or political professional with a strong track record of success and nurturing relevant contacts.
- Two, preferably more, of the following domain expertise: E-commerce, trade, customs, tax, intellectual property, technology, privacy, environmental issues.
- Experienced issues and crisis handler able to think clearly and quickly under pressure.
- Proven experience building and maintaining positive and productive relationships with internal and external partners.
- Ability to work with minimal direct supervision, but also have the ability to know when to seek help or support from supervisor or colleagues.
- Ability to act as a diplomatic change agent in a highly fluid and ever-changing environment.
- Excellent collaborative problem-solving with a high level of maturity and judgment.
- Technology savvy. Able to effectively express understanding of complex issues in a means that will engage our external audiences.
- Able to contribute to the development of a resourceful and results-oriented teams – set clear priorities and focus on outcomes and impact rather than inputs.
- Inspires others to achieve great results and creates an environment that enables hard-working people to thrive.
- Drive sharing of standard methodologies, improvements, ideas and feedback.
- Highly developed change management experience, including complex organizational and cultural change.
- Detail oriented.
- Highly qualified in successfully initiating and completing projects. Must be skilled in driving projects to the finish line.
- Professional style and manner – gravitas, authority, credibility.
- Energized, creative, proactive and enthusiastic – willing to take initiative with confidence.
- A strong great teammate, who thrives in a collaborative setting.
- Ability to not just survive a very fast-paced environment, but enjoy it immensely.
- Talent for careful time management and excellent attention to detail.
- Resilient, with the ability to work to deadlines and maintain high levels of professionalism under pressure.
- Empathy, good emotional intelligence as well as cultural sensitivity.
- Diplomatic, with the antennae to pick up on, and manage, organizational and cultural sensitivities.
- Outstanding ability to glean context and nuance from non-verbal communication; listen carefully.
- Comfortable working on assignments outside the office where they will be based. Some travel associated with this position.
- Good sense of humor and able to see work as fun.
Benefits are an essential part of your total compensation for the work you do every day. Whether you’re single, in a growing family, or nearing retirement, eBay offers a variety of comprehensive and competitive benefit programs to meet your needs. Including maternal & paternal leave, paid sabbatical, and plans to help ensure your financial security today and in the years ahead because we know feeling financially secure during your working years and through retirement is important.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Here at eBay, we love creating opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are, and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel eBay is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included, and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work. To learn about eBay’s Diversity & Inclusion click here: https://www.ebayinc.com/company/diversity-inclusion/ #LI-140535551_KA1 #LI-KA1
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible. Jobs posted with location as “Remote – United States (Excludes CO, HI, NM)” excludes Colorado, Hawaii and New Mexico.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-06-18