Managing Director, Airline Industry Communications and Public Relations
Oversee communications – both proactive and responsive—working to promote the overall U.S. airline industry, A4A carrier members and aviation industry partners to strengthen the overall image and reputation. This includes – but is not limited to – effective media relations, rapid response, executive communications and third-party relationships. Role includes development of messaging, communications materials, operations support, social media and testimony support. Must be confident, conversant and collaborative with internal and external stakeholders.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as an official spokesperson for the association, speaking on behalf of the U.S. airline industry and A4A’s carrier members, in conjunction with the association’s strategic plan.
- Develop and execute strategic communications plan to advance the advocacy agenda and membership priorities, working closely with the Vice President, Communications and other team members to integrate other properties, including but not limited to earned media opportunities, social media outreach and video.
- Design and execute proactive communications plan in support of key safety, security and NextGen operations objectives.
- Generate positive media coverage and programs that increase visibility and enhance image of the airline industry; conduct regular media interviews (print, radio and television as deemed appropriate); write opinion pieces on key industry priorities; and pitch stories that augment the association’s messaging on specific issues.
- Proofread and edit documents including letters, presentations and op-eds.
- Lead media relations outreach including developing media strategies for significant announcements; press releases, message maps and briefing documents.
- Prepare media training materials for executives related to events including – but not limited to – travel forecasts and other earned media events.
- Identify plans to increase and maximize reach of A4A data, research, travel forecasts and other relevant informational news content.
- Respond promptly, accurately and efficiently to media questions/requests.
- Utilize traditional and new/social media.
- Develop and manage issues/crisis management communications, serving as a spokesperson.
- Represent the views of the media to A4A leadership; assist in shaping responses to complex issues including but not limited to: noise, environment, operations, labor, safety and security as well as marketing and industry business initiatives.
- Monitor industry news; identify emerging customer, business, operations, safety and security issues and provide leadership in preparing for anticipated news cycles.
- Have a working familiarity of aviation issues and nomenclature; have knowledge and comfortability with industry media and other relevant media representatives; develop and maintain appropriate relationships with communications counterparts representing industry partners.
- Provide constructive support for executive communications (including senior management) in the development of speeches, presentations and other publicly-facing initiatives.
- Offer strategic counsel and thought leadership for speaking engagements and conference opportunities for senior management; identify ways to promote those events.
- Function as part of a strong team, providing support in other areas, including operations communications and social media engagement.
- Working with colleagues, produce newsletters and other materials for member carriers, media and other groups highlighting key industry issues as well as A4A initiatives and accomplishments.
- BA in communications, journalism or related field or equivalent experience.
- Proven communicator with 10+ years of experience including media relations, writing and editing skills. (Familiarity with AP style is preferred.)
- Previous communications experience in the airline industry, relevant regulatory agencies, government offices or in the media.
- Ability to quickly and accurately process and explain complex industry issues.
- Writes and speaks in a direct, concise manner.
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced environment and always goes the extra mile.
- Must be a self-starter who works well with others; thinks critically, strategically and creatively.
- A natural team player who enjoys working with people from a wide range of organizations.
- Solid understanding of social media.
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills.
Choice of medical plans, plus free life, dental and vision coverage. 401k with matching contributions, airline travel privileges, tuition reimbursement plan.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com to the attention: JOA#19-05.
Job posted: 2019-02-16