Managing Director for Campaign Strategy
Who we are:
Situated at the forefront of the national stage in the racial justice movement, Advancement Project National Office is a cutting edge, no-holds-barred national nonprofit whose team members are dedicated to creating free and safe communities for people of color. From ending the school-to-prison pipeline, to the fight to expand the right to vote, from calling for a complete overhaul of how we view the police and carceral state, to fighting for immigrant justice, Advancement Project National Office team members impact real change from the ground up. This moment demands alignment, sharp strategic thinking and creativity to imagine a more just world in which racism no longer exists and all people of color can be free and safe – and we are excited to bring on new talent to change our world.
We are seeking a dynamic, organized and vision oriented leader to join the campaigns team as the Managing Director for Campaign Strategy to help establish an organization-wide campaign strategy designed to build, shape, and enhance visibility and awareness of Advancement Project’s brand nationwide. Lead efforts to build public understanding of the issues surrounding proposals to create and protect assigned program and project area. The ideal candidate will manage the Campaign Strategy Team. This position reports to the Executive Director.
What you’ll do:
Establish and execute campaign strategies and oversee their implementation
- Design and lead execution of the campaign strategy for the organization’s national campaign, internal programs/projects, issue areas and partner campaigns.
- Work with a cross-programmatic teams to develop goals for a comprehensive, strategic campaign including grassroots outreach, partner development, online organizing, litigation, communications, research and other techniques to achieve goals.
- Manage a fast paced, multi-faceted issue campaigns; build and sustain collaborative working relationships with local, state, and national strategic partners to raise the profile of the campaigns.
- Create and manage ongoing campaign budget.
- Attend conferences and other networking events relative to organization’s mission and campaigns industry.
Create, write, edit and produce content to contribute to successful campaigns
- Develop public education and various campaign materials;
- Manage and plan campaign events such as local rallies, demonstrations, briefings, media events in coordination with relevant staff and departments.
- Proactively generate and post articles in various mediums, including broadcast and social media outlets.
Collaborate with other teams on the management and planning of campaign efforts
- Develop regular reports and other communications for Directors, staff and campaign funders.
- Collaborate with Managing Director of Communication to maintain consistency with fundraising and communication plans, including working together on solicitation outreach and engagement to secure both current and prospective supporters.
- Coordinate with other Directors on setting campaign strategies related to the organizational mission and their teams work.
Provide leadership and direction to the Campaign Strategy Team
- Develop and execute workplans and strategies to meet team goals and objectives, and assist with the development of organizational goals, objectives and strategies.
- Identify need for, develop, modify, and maintain team policies, procedures and other guidance documents, including incorporating best practices, and addressing changes in the legal landscape and cultural environment.
- Disseminate, implement, and enforce organization and team standards, policies, and procedures, including providing proper guidance to those carrying out related duties.
- Develop, implement, and administer annual team budget.
- Directly manage all team members, including training, assigning and directing work, evaluating performance, disciplining as necessary, and addressing employee concerns.
- Provide team members with regular feedback on performance, including frequent informal feedback, annual performance reviews, assisting with professional development, and making recommendations for employee separations, promotions or special assignments.
- Participate in the recruitment of new employees, including interviewing and making hiring and compensation recommendations.
Other related duties, as assigned.
What you need to be considered:
- 10 years of relevant experience in a similar position and/or performing similar tasks.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- At least three years’ experience managing people.
- Maintain advanced working knowledge of voting rights laws, labor, electoral or issue campaigns and demonstrated experience in managing successful issue campaigns as well as internal policies and procedures.
- Maintain working knowledge of relevant messaging development, online organizing, coalition development and budgeting techniques.
- Strong written communication skills, including the ability to advocate and communicate with authority.
- Effectively communicate information and ideas to executives, board members and other high-profile groups and individuals, as well as compose precise, effective, and grammatically correct reports, procedures, legal documents and business correspondence appropriate for the intended audience.
- Manage a high volume of tasks at one time, including organizing and prioritizing own work and the work of others.
- Make sound and timely informed decisions in complex situations.
- Work independently with minimum direction while also working as part of a team and collaborating with others.
- Demonstrate a high attention to detail.
- Ability to fluently speak, read and write Spanish.
- Ability to occasionally work after hours and weekends and travel
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-02-17