Managing Director for Communications
Who we are:
Situated at the forefront of the national stage in the racial justice movement, Advancement Project National Office is a cutting edge, no-holds-barred national nonprofit whose team members are dedicated to creating free and safe communities for people of color. From ending the school-to-prison pipeline, to the fight to expand the right to vote, from calling for a complete overhaul of how we view the police and carceral state, to fighting for immigrant justice, Advancement Project National Office team members impact real change from the ground up. This moment demands alignment, sharp strategic thinking and creativity to imagine a more just world in which racism no longer exists and all people of color can be free and safe – and we are excited to bring on new talent to change our world.
Advancement Project is seeking a dynamic and creative leader, committed to racial justice, who understands shifting narratives and employing communication tools to move organizing and advocacy campaigns. The Managing Director for Communications plays a critical role on our senior team providing strategic communications leadership to the Organization and grassroots partners we support. Leading a team of 7 communications professionals, the ideal candidate will ensure alignment with program teams, grassroot partners and the racial justice movement and elevate the organization’s brand/voice. The candidate will be ready to use all mediums of communications and cultivate relationships with media (of all types) and influencers. The ideal candidate is a news and culture fanatic, who understands how to move people on our issues.
The ideal candidate has experience leading high-performing, creative teams in a rapidly moving environment while maintaining focus on long-term goals. In addition, we are seeking a leader who is committed to mentoring and professional growth of staff.
This position will be based in Washington, DC and reports directly to the Executive Director.
What you’ll do:
Establish and execute communications strategies and oversee their implementation
- Design and lead execution of the communication strategy for the organization’s brand and national campaigns, specific internal programs and issue areas, and partner campaigns.
- Establish an organization-wide communication strategy designed to build, shape and enhance visibility and awareness
- Develop and implement a Principal’s communication strategy and position the organization as a “go to” on our issues.
- Implement rapid responses.
- Cultivate relationships with journalists, influencers, celebrities, and creatives in support of campaigns.
- Analyze news, narratives and trends to ensure use of effective communication strategies.
Oversee the creation, design and production of external communications
Collaborate with other teams on the management and planning of communications efforts
- Assist Executive Director with speech writing, developing talking points and other communications as requested.
- Collaborate with Managing Director of Development to maintain consistency with fundraising and communication plans, including working together on solicitation outreach and engagement to secure both current and prospective supporters.
- Coordinate with other Directors on setting communication strategies related to the organizational mission and alignment with their teams work.
- Serve as a subject matter expert to the Board Development Committee.
Provide leadership and direction to the Communications Team
- Develop and execute workplans and strategies to meet team goals and objectives, and assist with the development of organizational goals, objectives and strategies.
- Develop and nurture a strong team culture.
- Develop and administer annual team budget.
- Manage team members, including training, assigning and directing work, evaluating performance, disciplining as necessary, and addressing employee concerns.
What you need to be considered:
- 10 years of relevant experience in a similar position and/or performing similar tasks.
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Master’s Degree highly preferred.
- At least three years’ experience managing high performing teams and mentoring staff.
- Advanced working knowledge of newsroom environments, news pitching and writing, press release writing and opinion editorial writing, communications best practices, as well as internal policies and procedures.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to advocate and communicate with authority.
- Strong project management skills
- Flexibility and adaptability in a fast-paced environment.
- Advanced working knowledge of social media platforms, media distribution software and Microsoft Office including Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook.
- Ability to frequently travel locally, regionally, and nationally.
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-02-17