Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Managing Director of Communications & Marketing
iMentor is seeking a strategic, collaborative and creative Managing Director of Marketing and Communications (MDC) to lead media and external relations, digital marketing, and brand and messaging across all aspects of iMentor’s work. This data-driven marketer will run campaigns to recruit thousands of volunteer mentors each year; mobilize individuals, organizations, and groups to engage with iMentor in ways that further our ability to secure mission-critical funds; and raise iMentor’s profile while shaping media narratives in support of mentoring and educational equity.
The MDC will be responsible for leading a team to develop and implement all elements of a strategic marketing and communications plan, including media and external relations, digital marketing, campaign planning and execution, and online and social media engagement. The MDC will serve as strategic counsel to executive leaders and play a critical role in expanding the organization’s visibility and reach during a period of significant growth and opportunity.
The ideal candidate will bring breadth and depth of experience leading multi-channel communications and campaigns. They will be equal parts marketing specialist, strategy leader, project manager and experienced people manager. The MDC will lead through partnership, a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and a passion for iMentor’s work.
- Strategy & Project Planning: Create a comprehensive marketing and communications plan and strategic org-wide communications calendar that supports recruitment, development and partnerships, and oversee marketing activities and campaigns that engage a broad but targeted range of audiences, with a specific focus on mentors and donors.
- Public Relations: Develop and execute a broad range of PR strategies to position the organization and its leadership by conducting media outreach, building relationships with reporters and editors, identifying newsworthy insights and stories, drafting external communications materials, and providing PR counsel and support to executive leaders.
- Marketing and Brand Development: Develop, execute, and evaluate a roadmap for digital marketing and email marketing programs aligned with best practices. Drive conversion improvement for prospective volunteers and collaborate with the team to identify and develop creative brand awareness campaigns in partnership with corporate partners that elevate iMentor’s visibility.
- Storytelling: Develop materials, talking points, and multimedia while ensuring that our commitment to diversity and equity is clear to our external stakeholders and that the challenges and success of our students are communicated with cultural attunement, respect, inclusiveness and a strengths-based perspective.
- Organizational Leadership & Management: Coach key staff across regions to effectively execute localized marketing and communications strategies, provide strategic counsel regarding high-stakes public affairs opportunities, develop crisis communications protocols and response strategies, and lead a team of three in the implementation of initiatives critical to meeting the goals of iMentor’s strategic plan.
- 10+ years of relevant experience in a senior management role, including leading and managing a team, experience working at a purpose-driven global or national organization, and demonstrated success building and implementing strategic multimedia communications and marketing campaigns.
- Campaign and partnership experience with a track record of building and leveraging corporate partnerships to elevate organization’s brand.
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in building relationships with reporters and producing high-impact media placements.
- A natural leader, spokesperson and thought partner who works successfully with people at all levels of an organization.
- Experience with website development and management (no tech necessary, but must have experience working with web designers).
- Exceptional writing and editing skills.
- Demonstrated alignment with iMentor’s mission, values, and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Views differences between individuals (race, gender, age, cultural heritage, physical ability, education, beliefs, and lifestyle) as an asset and demonstrates an appreciation of the diversity across the iMentor community.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Our organization works in partnership with district public schools across the country. In doing so we must meet all compliance requirements of those districts including background checks.
- iMentor is committed to ensuring healthy and safe environments for our staff, mentors, and the students we serve. In order to fully comply with the NYC Vaccine mandate, all iMentor employees (regardless of role or region) are required to be fully vaccinated priority to their start date.
Visit www.imentor.org/jobs to submit a resume and detailed cover letter describing your interest in and qualifications for this position. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, so we encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
iMentor is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job posted: 2022-11-05