Managing Director, Government Affairs
The Managing Director manages government relations clients, leveraging in-depth knowledge of clients’ objectives and challenges to oversee the design and implementation of innovative strategies to assist them through legislative, regulatory, and political challenges, positioning them for constructive outcomes. Responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to, the following:
- Develop strategic proposals and engagement plans for clients and new business prospects.
- Navigating Capitol Hill and federal agencies on behalf of clients.
- Speaking to complex policy issues for purposes of influencing outcomes.
- Serve as a primary client contact, providing strategic counsel directly to clients in meetings, conference calls and while working on site with clients.
- Oversee project management and document development to ensure deadlines are met and objectives are achieved.
- Anticipate client needs and concerns and work to proactively address them, while focusing on building client’s political capitol and reducing political risk.
- Drive new business pursuits, including the development of thought leadership, identification of business prospects and ongoing networking on behalf of the firm.
- Support team training and professional development and serve as a performance manager to select junior staff.
- Manage profitability and utilization on multiple projects and accounts.
- Provide expert counsel to achieve critical business goals and maintain a high level of integrity in all situations.
- Ensure all work undertaken by FTI professionals is in line with FTI’s values, Code of Ethics and the Strategic Communications Rules of Practice and lives these commitments daily. (Additional information about FTI’s values, Code of Ethics and the Strategic Communications Rules of Practice can be accessed here.)
- Work with international colleagues to position FTI as a model of ethical behavior and integrity internally and in the marketplace.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 10+ years of government relations or related experience
- This role requires travel to clients and FTI offices
- Deep understanding of the legislative and regulatory process, with commensurate relationships on Capitol Hill or at the federal agencies with which you might be working.
- Ability to advise and secure confidence of senior government relations specialists, communications, and C-level client contacts, as well as other outside legal and financial advisors.
- Excellent organizational skills and written and verbal presentation skills.
- Proven project management track record and comfort managing and working with staff at all levels.
- Strong work ethic, attention to detail and a service-oriented attitude.
- Ability to work under pressing deadlines across multiple projects and portray calm in the face of difficult situations to clients and other team members.
- Track record of managing legislative issues with multiple stakeholders, and a record of successful outcomes and a positive reputation on Capitol Hill.
POSITION CLASSIFICATION: Exempt
- Competitive salary and bonus plans
- Generous paid holidays, time off and parental leave
- Full package of benefits plans
- Company matched 401K
- Annual paid volunteer hours
- Corporate matching for charitable donations
- Potential for flexible working arrangements
- Free snacks and drinks
- Upscale offices close to public transportation
- Pet insurance
FTI Consulting is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-09-20