Managing Director, Government and Regulatory Communications
Oversee communications—both proactive and responsive–relative to government relations, legislative
affairs and regulatory policy to advance the advocacy priorities of the U.S. airline industry on Capitol Hill,
throughout the Administration and across the states. Promote and protect the image and reputation of the
industry through effective media relations and strategic communications. Role includes development and
dissemination of messaging, communications materials, government affairs support, social media and
other relevant support. Must be a confident, conversant and collaborative communicator with internal and
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Serve as an official spokesperson for the association, speaking on behalf of the U.S. airline
industry and A4A’s carrier members, in conjunction with the association’s strategic plan.
• Develop and execute strategic communications plan to advance the advocacy agenda and
membership priorities, working closely with the Vice President, Communications and other team
members to integrate other properties – including but not limited to earned media opportunities,
social media outreach and video – to strengthen the image of the industry before key audiences.
• Create, implement and execute communications campaigns – in conjunction with government
relations, legislative affairs and regulatory policy teams as well as third-party groups and
coalitions – to educate lawmakers and impact legislation at state and federal levels.
• Generate positive media coverage for the industry by conducting regular media interviews (print,
radio and television as deemed appropriate); writing opinion pieces on policy, regulatory and
legislative issues; and pitching stories that augment the association’s messaging on specific
• Proofread and edit documents including letters, presentations and op-eds.
• Design programs that increase visibility and enhance image of the airline industry with key
opinion leaders, legislative leaders, policy experts and regulators.
• Cultivate and expand relationships with key members of the media and communications
professionals at relevant agencies and government offices.
• Lead media relations outreach including developing media strategies for significant
announcements; press releases, message maps and briefing documents; prepping/media training
executives and responding to media questions/requests.
• Work with colleagues to maximize resources through traditional and new/social media.
• Prepare for and manage issues/crisis management communications, serving as an on-the-record
spokesperson. Represent the views of the media to A4A leadership; assist in shaping responses
to complex issues, including legal, legislative and regulatory matters.
• Monitor activity and news from Capitol Hill, the Administration, regulatory agencies and state
capitals. This may also include familiarity with groups that serve as industry partners.
• Identify emerging policy, regulatory and legislative issues and prepare a media plan that
appropriately anticipates and prepares for such issues.
• Oversee executive communications when needed, including support of senior management in the
development of speeches and presentations.
• Seek out strategic/thought leadership speaking and conference opportunities for senior
management and identify opportunities to promote those events, as appropriate.
• Function as part of a strong team, providing support in other areas, including operations
communications and social media engagement.
• Working with colleagues, produce newsletters and other materials for member carriers, media,
Capitol Hill and other groups highlighting key industry issues as well as A4A initiatives and
• BA in communications, journalism or related field or equivalent experience.
• Proven communicator with 10+ years of experience including media relations, writing and editing
skills. (Familiarity with AP style is preferred.)
• Previous work on Capitol Hill, in the Administration, at government agencies or with policy
• Ability to quickly and accurately process and explain complex legislative and regulatory policy
• Understands and navigates the fluid political environment of Washington, D.C., and state capitals.
• Writes and speaks in a direct, concise manner.
• Enjoys working in a fast-paced environment and always goes the extra mile.
• Must be a self-starter who thinks critically, strategically and creatively.
• A natural team player who enjoys working with people from a wide range of organizations.
• Solid understanding of social media.
• Excellent Microsoft Office skills.
Choice of medical plans, plus free life, dental and vision coverage. 401k with matching contributions, airline
travel privileges, tuition reimbursement plan.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org to the
Job posted: 2019-02-16