Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Managing Director – Head of Congressional Affairs
There’s never been a more exciting time to join United Airlines. We’re on a path towards becoming the best airline in the history of aviation. Our shared purpose – Connecting People, Uniting the World – is about more than getting people from one place to another. It also means that as a global company that operates in hundreds of locations around the world with millions of customers and tens of thousands of employees, we have a unique responsibility to uplift and provide opportunities in the places where we work, live and fly, and we can only do that with a truly diverse and inclusive workforce. And we’re growing – in the years ahead, we’ll hire tens of thousands of people across every area of the airline. Our careers include a competitive benefits package aimed at keeping you happy, healthy, and well-traveled. From employee-run “Business Resource Group” communities to world-class benefits like parental leave, 401k, and privileges like space available travel, United is truly a one-of-a-kind place to work. Are you ready to travel the world?
At United, we take bold action. And our Government, Corporate and Environmental Affairs team are the driving force behind our efforts to make change happen! By working closely with the US government and coordinating grassroots advocacy efforts, our Corporate and Government Affairs team represents United on public policy and legislative issues. And our Environmental Affairs team is equally working hard to shape an environmentally sustainable future. Together these teams advocate for a cleaner, safer, and more optimistic future for our airline, our employees, and the millions of customers we serve all around the globe.
The Head of Congressional Affairs will lead a team of in-house and external lobbyists to deliver success on United legislative objectives and to promote United’s image and reputation on is responsible for ensuring that United Airlines is represented on Capitol Hill, with trade associations, and with all third-party groups in Washington. Additionally, this position will also oversee the growth and management of United’s Political Action Committee (UAPAC), as well as United’s external grassroots advocacy and coalition efforts. will conduct research, monitor legislation, and track happenings within the government that could affect our organization. This individual will proactively research policies to see what policy changes could be advantageous and which trends might negatively impact our company in the future. This position will require the ability to accomplish goals of United Airlines on Capitol Hill and represent the company’s best interests. The ability to develop and maintain respectful and genuine relationships with legislature legislators and staff and to represent the best business interest of United Airlines is critical. Forward-thinking and knowledge of how Capitol Hill works is pivotal to being successful in this position. The ideal candidate is a proven team leader who can set direction, strategy and lead the growth of the UA Political Action Committee, grassroots, and advocacy efforts. This position reports directly to the SVP, Govt Affairs & Global Public Policy and will lead a team of three as well as management of a team of outside lobbyists.
- Develop the strategy for UA’s legislative activities. Responsible for implementing the development and maintenance of legislative information, including talking points, legislative updates, letters to elected officials.
- Coordinate activities with allied trade organizations on legislative, policy initiatives.
- Provide political and legislative support and advice regarding legislative risk and opportunities to the company and the business.
- Direct political engagement on behalf of United Political Action Committee.
- Actively lobby for UA’s interests in D.C. Promote strong relations with Congressional offices. Making sure the company aligns with all legal and ethical requirements regarding lobbying and all political activity.
- Coordinate and manage all outreach by UA’s staff and contract lobbyists to Capitol Hill and represent the company on Capitol Hill with the legislature and the key committees.
United values diverse experiences, perspectives, and we encourage everyone who meets the minimum qualifications to apply. While having the “desired” qualifications make for a stronger candidate, we encourage applicants who may not feel they check ALL of those boxes! We are always looking for individuals who will bring something new to the table!
What’s needed to succeed (Minimum Qualifications):
- Bachelor’s degree
- 15 years’ experience
- Knowledge of the inner workings of Capitol Hill
- Ability to establish and manage interdependent relationships across various external units.
- Strong presentation skills
What will help you propel from the pack (Preferred Qualifications):
- Master’s degree
- MBA or master’s degree in related field (EX: JD, MPA, MPP)
- Capitol Hill Experience
- 5+ years management experience in a Corporate environment
- 5+ years of Congressional experience.
- Transportation or Aviation policy knowledge.
- Excellent writing skills
United Airlines is an equal opportunity employer. United Airlines recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical ability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions. Please contact JobAccommodations@united.com to request accommodation.
Learn more here
Equal Opportunity Employer – Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT
Job posted: 2023-05-07