Managing Director, Institute of Politics and Public Service
Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation’s capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitment to social justice. Our community is a tight knit group of remarkable individuals interested in intellectual inquiry and making a difference in the world.
Managing Director, Institute of Politics and Public Service – McCourt School of Public Policy – Georgetown University
The Institute of Politics and Public Service (GU Politics) at Georgetown’s McCourt School of Public Policy (MSPP) is a non-academic program established to better connect students with the political process and empower them to make it work better. Driven by a belief that better understanding can lead to more civil and productive politics, GU Politics offers a series of programs focused on practical and applied politics that offers students opportunities to directly engage with leading members of the political, governmental, journalism and advocacy communities; explore ideas to improve the process; and work to put some of those ideas into practice.
The Managing Director of the Institute of Politics and Public Service is responsible for managing the day-to-day needs of the Institute on all matters of a strategic, operational, administrative, and personnel nature. In partnership with the Executive Director, the Managing Director develops and implements strategic decisions for the Institute, preserving and strengthening engagement on campus; with alumni; in the DC-political community; and with peer institutions across universities. They have responsibility for hiring, training, and managing all Institute staff, developing and implementing financial and fundraising strategies and plans, and creating and executing a strategy for growth. Reporting the Executive Director, the Managing Director has duties that include but are not limited to:
- Directly manages full-time GU Politics staff of six, developing staffing plans to execute programming across all verticals (fellows, forum, career, and experiential learning opportunities)
- Interfaces with University HR operations to spearhead hiring processes, on-boarding of new staff, and evaluation of all team members
- Develops and maintains partnerships with internal and external entities, to grow the impact of the Institute’s work
- Creates and manages GU Politics budget and interfaces with all relevant university departments on financial matters and expenditures
Institutional Outreach and Strategic Priorities
- Assists the Executive Director in setting strategic directions, goals, and initiatives for the Institute
- Initiates and manages relationships with new strategic partners, ensuring partnerships are aligned, consistent, effective, and advance the strategy of the Institute
- Creates and manages a strategic alumni engagement strategy that increases strategic partnerships (such as programming participants, future fellows, and prospective advisory board members)
- Manages the GU Politics advisory board, setting a strategy for annual meetings and managing board relationships to work with advancement in developing an individualized fundraising strategy for each of the 14 members
- Serves as the point of contact for advancement
- Increases the bandwidth of the Executive Director by spearheading strategic initiative development and management
- Manages communication between the GU Politics office, the McCourt School’s Office of the Dean and the Office of the President
- Develops and maintains relationships with faculty, students, alumni, past and current fellows; and Georgetown colleagues to strengthen the Institute’s relationships across campus and in the Georgetown community
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5 to 7 years of related professional experience, with a minimum of 5 years of management experience
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to communicate ideas and issues clearly, concisely and accurately
- Strong management skills
- Ability to deal effectively with high-level administrators, faculty members, special guests, and students
Master’s degree preferred, but additional professional experience may be considered in its place
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown’s commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Georgetown University offers a wide variety of comprehensive and competitive benefits. Benefits packages include comprehensive health, dental and vision plans, disability and life insurance coverage, retirement savings programs, tuition assistance, voluntary insurance options (including group legal, accident, and critical illness), and much more. Whatever your need, the Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits will be standing by to support you. You can learn more about the benefits offered to eligible faculty and staff at https://benefits.georgetown.edu or view the online interactive benefits guide for more information.
Job posted: 2021-10-26