Managing Director, Marketing and Communications
About KID Museum
KID Museum is the region’s pioneering experiential museum and educational makerspace. We
empower the next generation with the skills to invent the future. Through hands-on
programming for kids and youth (ages 4-14), we challenge young people to be active makers,
who harness their creativity, curiosity and compassion to build a better world. We design and
deliver programs across the full continuum of learning for kids in pre-k through middle school in
partnership with educators and schools. Our onsite programs, community events, and live,
virtual sessions encourage families to learn and explore together, engage kids in driving their
own learning, and support educators in the classroom. We are deeply committed to equity,
diversity and inclusion, and consistently prioritize reaching low-income students of color with
these transformative learning experiences that unlock opportunity for personal and economic
Through deep, embedded learning partnerships with local public and independent schools, we
support students and teachers in developing new skills and the “mind of a maker.” This
philosophy embodies the mindset that we believe will be necessary for the next generation to
successfully compete in an increasingly diverse, interconnected, and rapidly changing
workforce, driven by technology.
We empower the next generation with the skills to invent the future, and the mindsets, habits,
and skill-sets we teach are practical and powerful in everyday life. We are part of a growing
movement to remake education for every young person, putting them in the driver’s seat and
trusting them to be agents of change. For more information, please visit www.kid-museum.org.
KID Museum is seeking a Managing Director, Marketing and Communications to lead the
organization’s strategic communications and marketing efforts to position the Museum as a
national leader in maker-based education; raise public awareness about KID Museum locally
and nationally; oversee marketing-related member and customer relationship activities; and
manage crisis communications.
This position reports to the Founder & Executive Director and will work closely with members of
the leadership team to lead the branding, marketing, and communications work of the
organization and to manage and integrate the marketing and communications team with other
departments. This position works in close partnership with the Development Director on broad
institutional advancement strategy as well as to support fundraising campaign communications
The successful candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, or
related field and/or a minimum of eight years of experience, including at least two years in a
senior management role, in marketing and communications for nonprofit organizations,
corporations, and/or agencies. He/she will also have experience in developing and executing
effective communications and marketing strategy, including brand storytelling, digital strategies,
and customer engagement.
Essential Job Functions
● Lead the organization’s strategic communications and marketing efforts to enhance KID
Museum’s brand visibility and recognition among key stakeholders and constituents,
including local and national funders, family audiences, school and community partners.
● Oversee the development of marketing and communications strategies for key KID Museum
programs and events to advance the organization’s mission.
● Build, manage and continually develop a team of marketing and communications
professionals responsible for the development of effective marketing strategies that support
KID Museum’s mission and vision.
● Manage outside vendors, agencies, consultants, freelancers and other supplier
relationships, including contract negotiation and performance management.
● Manage, collaborate and regularly communicate with internal marketing and
communications team and external consultants to set clear strategic direction and priorities,
and provide feedback.
● Serve on KID’s Leadership Team and foster collaboration among the marketing and
communications, programs, and development teams.
● Work with the Board of Directors and key Board committees to support communications
related to fundraising, advocacy, and strategic positioning to advance the organization’s
mission and vision.
● Represent KID Museum to the public and key stakeholders and serve as a spokesperson as
● Grow and oversee the organization’s digital strategy, including social media presence, the
KID Museum website, monthly newsletter, blogs, and email communications.
● Develop and oversee a media strategy to increase the organization’s media coverage.
● Refine organizational messaging to ensure all communications and marketing collateral
reinforces KID’s core messages and brand identity.
● Align marketing and communications strategies with KID Museum’s strategic plan and
● Oversee the creation of marketing and communications content and designed collateral to
ensure there is a consistent voice, look and feel that represents KID.
● Oversee market research to better understand KID Museum’s customers and constituents.
● Manage the marketing and communications budget to ensure that the department stays
within our financial goals and promote activities that will aid in generating additional capital.
● Successfully complete other duties as assigned.
● Demonstrated success working with a senior leadership team and Board of Directors to
develop high-level strategies that positions the organization and moves it forward.
● Excellent leadership skills; able to mentor, develop and motivate a team of marketing
professionals with varying levels of experience.
● Superb written and verbal communications skills.
● Outstanding interpersonal skills, including team and relationship building is required.
● Creative problem-solver with a positive, results-oriented mindset.
● Able to work in a fast-paced environment and to meet deadlines.
● Able to consider the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most
● Excellent time management, organizational, and follow-up skills.
● Adaptable, flexible, patient, and able to work with little outside direction.
● Ability to perform with a high degree of professionalism.
● Intermediate knowledge of Google Suite, Adobe Creative Cloud, Hootsuite and other
marketing programs and tools.
The successful candidate must be able to perform the above tasks independently, accurately,
reliably, and in a timely manner. Compensation will be commensurate with experience. A
comprehensive benefits package will also be included. Please send a cover letter and resume
to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are important, interdependent components of everyday life at KID Museum and are
critical to our pursuit of excellence. KID Museum is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against
any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sex, ancestry,
citizenship status, mental or physical disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, veteran status, or military
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-23