Managing Director of Policy
- Leading a team of AFREF policy staff; Managing the work of the team to increase coordination of work streams within the team, and across the organization.
- Providing mentorship and support to policy staff that helps build and sustain a strong culture of inclusion, growth, and performance.
- Working with the Executive Director, leadership team, and policy staff to develop and implement specific strategies to advance our policy agenda.
- Contributing to planning and to fundraising for the organization as a whole.
- Collaborating with and supporting members of the policy team to produce high quality work including regulatory comments, bill analyses, reports, memos and responsive materials.
- Collaborating with members of the policy team, and across the organization, to identify, develop and articulate connecting themes in AFREF’s work to build a strategic shared narrative.
- Representing the organization and presenting on our policy agenda in meetings with policy makers, at public events, and with the press in an effective manner that advances AFREF’s goals.
- Building and maintaining relationships with policy experts and leaders at partner organizations and academic and research institutions.
- Building and maintaining relationships with policy staff and principals at financial regulatory agencies and on Capitol Hill.
While no one person will embody all of the qualities enumerated below, the ideal candidate will possess many of the following professional and personal abilities, attributes and experiences:
· A serious commitment to economic and racial justice.
· 15+ years of relevant experience, including five years of leadership and management experience in a mission-driven, fast-paced, high-performance environment.
· Deep knowledge of at least some areas of AFREF’s policy work, and a demonstrated ability and willingness to learn in additional areas.
- Experience with and enthusiasm for mentorship and staff development; demonstrated commitment to equity, and to responsive, accountable leadership and proactively managing others to take ownership, initiative, and action.
- Exceptional writing skills, including for both general and technical audiences.
- Excellent public speaking skills, and experience dealing with the media.
- Knowledge of the federal legislative and regulatory processes, experience on the Hill or at a Federal Regulatory Agency an asset.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to handle multiple projects at once, and to adapt to a swiftly changing environment.
- A record of strategic and big picture thinking.
- A law degree or an advanced degree in economics or a related field is an asset but not required.
The salary range for this position is $110k-125k plus benefits and will be determined based on experience and qualifications for the role.
*This position is temporarily remote due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but will resume to be in our Washington, DC office location once appropriate.
Job posted: 2021-04-13