Managing Director, Policy
Advanced Energy Economy (AEE) is a national association of businesses that are making the energy we use secure, clean, and affordable. AEE is the only industry association in the U.S. that represents the full range of advanced energy technologies and services, both grid-scale and distributed. Advanced energy includes energy efficiency, demand response, energy storage, wind, solar, hydro, nuclear, electric vehicles, and more. Engaged at the federal level and more than a dozen states around the country, AEE represents more than 100 companies in the $240 billion U.S. advanced energy industry, which employs 3.2 million U.S. workers.
AEE’s mission is transforming public policy to enable rapid growth of advanced energy businesses. We educate, engage, and advocate at the federal level, in wholesale electricity markets, and more than a dozen states for executive actions, legislation, and regulations that expand the size and value of markets for advanced energy products and services. We also offer business intelligence products and select business development opportunities to help advanced energy companies grow.
AEE seeks a smart, innovative, and politically savvy Managing Director to join AEE’s professional services team. The Managing Director will lead and shape policy advocacy strategies in key eastern and central states, lead our Eastern States Working Group, and will work collaboratively with team members to develop and implement multi-year strategies and campaigns designed to achieve policy successes at the state and wholesale market level that will expand markets for the advanced energy industry.
This is an unique opportunity to join a high-functioning team and organization, and lead strategy and execution in states east of the Mississippi. AEE is seeking a highly energetic and self-starting professional who brings a background in issue advocacy at the state or federal level and experience with advanced energy. The Managing Director will work collaboratively with AEE’s other Managing Directors, and will lead strategy development and execution, with project teams on both internal and external projects to advance AEE’s policy agenda in priority states in the East, Midwest, and PJM. Candidates should be creative and flexible, with the ability to develop and execute strategies, working in multiple venues with diverse stakeholders. The successful candidate will have excellent organizational skills, ability to find common ground both with corporate membership and external stakeholders, and a successful track record generating revenue. Candidates will need to have the ability to travel (post pandemic) to meet with AEE members, coalition allies and stakeholders, and public officials.
The current portfolio of work includes but is not limited to:
- Legislative and regulatory engagement in Illinois, Indiana, and Virginia.
- Legislative engagement in New York and Pennsylvania.
- Stakeholder engagement and education at PJM.
- Lead the Eastern States Working Group, which includes all of AEE’s engagement east of the Mississippi.
- Lead development of advanced energy strategies for market growth, as well as identify future venues for policy and political success, in targeted states. Run one of six Working Groups at AEE, Driving Technology Adoption and Market Transformation – East.
- Work collaboratively across AEE professional services team on developing and implementing strategies to meet short and long-term policy objectives in key states as part of AEE’s core portfolio. This will include legislative, regulatory, and administrative (e.g. governor’s office) engagement.
- Work with AEE members to develop and reach consensus on policy positions in key states and on key issues. Facilitate member calls and lead policy discussions to coalesce member input and prioritize areas of interest and engagement.
- Organize member engagement opportunities through direct decision maker engagement including lobby days and candidate education, earned media, and expert testimony; and participate in legislative, rulemaking, and administrative processes, as needed.
- As part of AEE’s Expanding Wholesale Markets work, support AEE and AEE member engagement in the stakeholder processes in priority markets like PJM.
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with coalition partners, philanthropy, allies, and key legislative, regulatory and administrative staff.
- Represent AEE effectively in front of funders and member prospects and help raise funds to support strategies and engagement in key states.
- Travel on an as needed basis (up to 30%, post pandemic) to targeted states for advocacy days, technical conferences, meetings with key allies and stakeholders, communications outreach, and other efforts on behalf of AEE.
- Bachelor’s and/or Advanced degree, Political Science, Public Policy, Economics or Engineering preferred or applicable comparable experience
- Minimum of ten years of professional experience in public policy, preferably with engagement in the clean energy or transportation sector
- Viewed as a subject matter expert in specific areas of expertise
- Political campaign or organizing experience, preferably in the clean energy space
- Entrepreneurial approach, flexible attitude, and ability to operate independently, making decisions consistent with AEE’s mission/vision
- Ability to engage members, customers, and funders, and sell AEE and its value proposition to those audiences
- Ability to motivate and develop an internal team and work collaboratively across project teams with colleagues
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, both written and verbal
- Intellectual curiosity, inquisitive nature, and excellent listening and problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage a project budget and financials
- Performance-oriented individual with a strong work ethic, demonstrated initiative and commitment to achieving goals
Job type: Full-time
Start Date: On or after July 1, 2021
Please submit a cover letter expressing your interest in this position and organization and description of relevant experience, as well as a current resume to email@example.com.
Job posted: 2021-05-30