Managing Director, Public Affairs
The Managing Director of Public Affairs leads and executes strategic Public Affairs initiatives across multiple communication channels and venues to raise BCBSA’s visibility and recognition as a health policy leader among key audiences, including federal and state policymakers; business partners and others. The managing director supports the Office of Policy and Representation (OPR) in its health policy advocacy mission and provides leadership in the strategic and tactical execution of a comprehensive, sustained thought leadership and visibility program based on a 360-degree communications approach.
The program encompasses: Paid advertising across all channels; integrated digital/social media programs; a year-round thought leadership event schedule with complementary amplification strategies; and earned media engagement, as necessary. The Managing Director provides strategy and supervision of junior team members responsible for content creation/amplification of material on the website BCBSProgressHealth, and directly supports broader public affairs efforts to raise the visibility and voice of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield System across in a range of programs and venues, while supporting the organization in achieving its advocacy goals.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Oversight and operational support of a paid advertising campaign encompassing all channels, collaborating with internal partners and outside vendors in developing creative and messaging content; meeting production deadlines; strategizing to optimize advertising results; optimizing and adapting advertising approaches based on performance and external narratives; providing regular metrics and reporting to internal audiences and assisting in adherence to budget goals.
- Oversight of digital content strategy and supervision of junior team members in developing content and strategizing editorial calendars and amplification strategies; refreshing and enhancing digital assets to meet audience and BCBSA needs, in line with web best practices.
- Engagement with internal and external partners, sponsors, vendors and others to provide strategic counsel and operational support in producing successful branded thought leadership events.
- Write and edit a wide range of public affairs communications deliverables including talking points, blog posts and other digital deliverables; provide counsel on creation of print collateral in support of events and other advocacy activities. Assist in media engagement, as needed.
Required Basic Qualifications
- Minimum 8-10 years of experience in roles shaping and executing complex communications efforts in a deadline-driven, fast-paced environment;
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills; demonstrated ability to craft compelling messages and communication materials for all channels.
- Experience elevating and protecting brands in the DC public affairs environment;
- Direct experience in advocacy communications and thought leadership communications in all channels, preferably with experience representing major brands;
- Experience advising senior leaders on best advocacy and thought leadership communication approaches;
- Direct experience in using digital/social media to advance policy/advocacy communication goals and objectives;
- Proven ability to utilize all communications channels—including events, paid advertising, social media and earned media, to achieve advocacy communication goals and objectives;
- Experience balancing the needs of multiple internal stakeholders and external partners;
- Demonstrated knowledge of healthcare policy, federal and state political landscapes and healthcare industry business issues.
- 4-year college degree.
Preferred Basic Qualifications
- Direct experience in DC-based advocacy communications on behalf of major brands and/or trade associations, or advocacy groups. In-house and agency experience may be applied.
- Experience directing paid advertising campaigns to further advocacy and thought leadership goals.
- Ability to work under pressure, with demonstrated success in working under tight deadlines.
- Effective relationship-building skills and ability to work in a collaborative environment with internal and external partners.
- Ability to prepare reports, presentations and other deliverables for senior leaders, including C-suite and Board leadership.
- Ability to supervise, develop and mentor junior staff for personal and professional development.
- Equal Opportunity Employer
Equal Opportunity Employer
Blue Cross Blue Shield Association is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other legally protected characteristics.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-10-17