Managing Director, Public Affairs | Financial Services
About the Role
We provide our clients with a comprehensive view of strategic communications that leverages our integrated suite of services, including financial communications, corporate reputation, transaction communications and public affairs in all the major markets around the world.
FTI Consulting offers its clients a multi-disciplinary, sector-focused approach to tackling complex public and government affairs challenges. The U.S. public affairs practice is comprised of 80+ professionals in Washington, DC and other key geographies in the lower 48 States. It is led by former House, Senate, White House and federal agency senior staff members, policy experts, press secretaries, journalists, and Congressional and Presidential campaign veterans. Our practitioners possess highly-relevant public & government affairs experience and deep subject matter expertise in energy, industrials, health care, financial services, and technology. Together with our Financial Communications, Crisis and Litigation, and Corporate Reputation practices, we are uniquely qualified to help clients navigate complex challenges at the intersection of government and business.
As Managing Director of the Financial Services Public Affairs team in Washington, DC, you will provide senior-level counsel to and assist clients in developing and executing strategies designed to influence the outcome of legislative and regulatory matters, investigations, and crisis and other events to protect and enhance clients’ reputation and enterprise value. A successful Managing Director will be confident in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment, have the ability to develop and maintain strong “trusted advisor” relationships with clients, effectively manage teams and collaborate with peers, craft and execute strategy, and identify new business opportunities for the firm. You will report to the Senior Managing Director and Americas Head of Financial Services, based in NY.
What You’ll Do
Qualified candidates must possess and demonstrate (1) an excellent command of the legislative, regulatory and communications challenges and opportunities facing the Financial Services sector, broadly, and leading companies therein, specifically (2) working knowledge of/experience working in Financial Services related policy making circles in Washington, including relevant think tanks and trade associations, key trade and news media publications (3) team leadership/management skills, and (4) exceptional work ethic.
- Strategic Counsel: providing expert communications, advocacy, positioning and other strategic counsel to clients
- Account Management: managing overall quality and delivery of work on multiple accounts in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Commercial Excellence: overseeing/managing budgets, invoicing, etc.
- Generate and lead new business development efforts
- Identify emerging opportunities to add greater value for clients
- Recognize and apply global and regional social, economic and other impactful policy trends, and translating those insights into actionable ideas
- Possess, develop and maintain relationships with applicable trade associations, journalists/media outlets, think tanks and relevant industry leaders to enhance and grow business
- Effectively lead account teams on complex client communications challenges
- Actively manage, develop, inspire, and motivate staff to excel
- Anticipate potential challenges and evaluate strategies with senior management
- Minimum of BA/BS from accredited college or university
- 10+ years of relevant issues management, public policy advocacy, communications and/or media affairs experience
- Exceptional command of financial services industry, including asset management, banks and thrifts, brokerage, financial technology, insurance, payments and processing, private equity and specialty finance
- On-the-record media affairs experience; relationships with industry-focused journalists
- Congressional, Executive Branch, trade association and/or trade journalism experience beneficial.
- Superior strategic thinking, writing, and presentation skills required
Apart from the well-structured career path and excellent team environment, our employees enjoy a variety of perks and benefits. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Competitive salary and bonus plans
- Generous paid holidays, time off and parental leave
- Full package of benefits plans
- Company matched 401K
- Annual paid volunteer hours
- Corporate matching for charitable donations
- Potential for flexible working arrangements
- Free snacks and drinks
- Upscale offices close to public transportation
- Pet insurance
About FTI Consulting
What makes us unique? With more than 5,000 employees located in offices in every corner of the globe, we are the firm our clients call when their most important issues are at stake. Regardless of what level you are, you will have the opportunity to work alongside and learn from top experts in your field on high-profile engagements that impact history. Our culture is collaborative, and we value diversity, recognition, development and making a difference in our communities.
FTI Consulting is publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange and has been recognized as a Best Firm to Work For by Consulting magazine and one of America’s Best Management Consulting Firms by Forbes. For more information, visit www.fticonsulting.com and connect with us on Twitter (@FTIConsulting), Facebook and LinkedIn.
FTI Consulting is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
- Exempt or Non-Exempt?: Exempt
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-04-29