Marketing & Communications Director
About the job
We are looking for a versatile and experienced marketing and communications professional who will be responsible for developing and executing a comprehensive public relations, marketing, and communications strategy to drive member engagement, attract new members, and position the GCA as Hawaii’s leading authority on the construction industry.
The General Contractors Association of Hawaii (GCA) is an organization comprised of over 500 general contractors, subcontractors, and construction related firms. The GCA was established in 1932 and is the largest construction association in the State of Hawaii. The mission of the GCA is to elevate Hawaii’s construction industry and strengthen the foundation of our community.
*We do not offer a relocation package or pay for any moving expenses.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops and executes an internal and external marketing and communications plan.
- Creates all content for including, but not limited to, e-mail blasts, e-newsletters, GCA magazine, press releases, PowerPoint presentations, social media posts, scripts and ad copy.
- Creates artwork consistent with the GCA brand including, but not limited to, e-mail blasts, e-newsletters, PowerPoint presentations, social media posts, and paid advertisements.
- Deploys successful marketing campaigns and owns their implementation from ideation to execution.
- Maintains the association’s website by posting, organizing, indexing, and updating information on the site to increase utilization and usefulness to members, industry, media, and the public. Enhances the appearance, features, functionality and user experience of the website. Responds to site inquiries, provides technical support, and manages the relationship with the website vendor.
- Develops a targeted media relations plan to communicate the GCA’s mission and promote the construction industry, and maintains a current media contacts list. Prepares the President, Executive Director, or other staff for interviews with media.
- Prepares and monitors the marketing and communications budget on a monthly and annual basis and allocates funds wisely.
- Assists with developing and deploying advocacy campaigns to drive members to take action on legislation being considered by the Hawaii State Legislature or County Councils.
- Measures and reports on the performance of marketing and communications campaigns, analyzes audience behavior and adjusts campaigns accordingly.
- Provides support at GCA events, including event photography.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Emotional Intelligence – tactful; gets along well with others; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; maintains confidentiality; reacts well under pressure; keeps emotions under control in all situations; remains open to others’ ideas; accepts responsibility for own actions.
- Strong Moral Compass – treats people with respect; keeps commitments; works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational values.
- Initiative – volunteers readily; seeks increased responsibilities; takes independent actions and calculated risks; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
- Written Communication – writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies writing style to meet needs of audience; presents complex or technical information in a way that is easy to understand.
- Oral Communication – speaks clearly; listens and asks for clarification when necessary; tailors the content of speech to the level and experience of the audience; uses appropriate grammar and choice of words; organizes ideas clearly in oral speech; able to present to an audience.
- Analytical Thinking – able to synthesize complex or diverse information; collects and analyzes data, uses intuition and experience to complement data.
- Business Acumen – understands business implications of decisions; demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; aligns work with strategic goals.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Experience working in the Hawaii market and knowledge and understanding of the local culture.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Up to date with the latest trends and best practices in online marketing and communications, and measurement.
- Advanced ability to use relevant software programs, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Photoshop, Publisher, InDesign, Canva, etc.
- Experience managing business Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn accounts, and social media scheduling programs such as Hootsuite or SproutSocial.
- Intermediate photography skills. Videography and video editing skills are a plus, but not required.
- Experience using GrowthZone or similar Association Management Software (AMS) is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree and five years of marketing and communications experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience required. Prior construction industry experience is a plus, but not required.
- Ability to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, as necessary or assigned.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-02-10