Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Marketing & Communications Manager
For four decades and counting, On the Boards (OtB) has moved the needle on culture in Seattle. We continue to occupy a unique corner of this region’s cultural turf—presenting dance, theater, and performance works that are challenging, provoking, surprising, and inspiring. We influence the contemporary art field on a global scale, investing and supporting in local artists who go on to develop careers and performances that are shared with thousands of audience members across the world.
OtB fulfills its mission by supporting artists from the Northwest and beyond, through new commissions and existing work presented online and in person. OtB offers a range of resources and events that provide in-depth information and complimentary social experiences to frame the art on its stages and create dynamic access for its audiences.
The Marketing Manager, in close collaboration with the external relations team, will support On the Boards annual marketing plan. You will help execute marketing campaigns, design and run promotions for our prospective and current audience base, and creatively tell the story of our artists. Specifically, you will have the opportunity to write content to raise awareness of our artists and productions for a variety of platforms including social media, e-newsletters, websites, print, and more.
On the Boards prioritizes a collaborative, team-oriented culture where everyone has a high level of ownership and performance in their roles, and where we care for ourselves, each other, and our community. We are a flexible workplace and place high priority on the health and well-being of our staff. We are seeking an individual who is detail-oriented, passionate about storytelling, and growth-minded.
MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS MANAGEMENT
In collaboration with the Director of Marketing, Communications, and Sales, External Relations Team, and Curatorial team:
- CONTENT CREATION – Manage, create, and write content for On The Boards communications channels as it aligns with our annual plan, including blog posts, social media, email, a monthly print calendar, event intros and slides, and website updates.
- COLLABERAL CREATION – Manage collateral creation, including production programs and posters, in concert with a contract graphic designer and print production houses; collaborates with XR staff to develop other materials as needed.
- NEWSLETTER – Curate the e-newsletter content and support email list management & segmentation in MailChimp and our CRM.
- WEBSITE – Manage the OtB website on Squarespace by building and editing content and ensuring pages are up to date with the latest dates, events information, and patron service
- SOCIAL MEDIA – Manage and sustain OtB’s social media platforms (facebook, instagram) and align with the curatorial team to create assets that reflect our productions
- DEI – Ensures that all content is developed through a lens of diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility.
- REPORTING – Track and report on campaign performances across all communications channels (email, social media, web analytics)
- Participate in team check-ins, weekly staff meetings, and planning and support for OtB events.
- Identify and participate in professional development opportunities that advance skills for the role
- With your Director, Produce an annual work plan with metrics tied to overall organizational goals.
This job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of this position. All OtB employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed, to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE
OtB is looking for team members who are excited to be a part of a creative community, oriented towards problem solving and communication, and bring a growth mentality to the team—that is, they are willing to do things differently, test things out, fail and get back up again. We hope to find someone who is curious and can connect to people with authenticity and kindness. We expect you to share our values of collaboration, trusting each other, transparency, integrity, cross-cultural respect and sensitivity.
Specifically, we are looking for:
- 3-5 years of progressively responsible and relevant experience in marketing and communications, and/or public relations experience. Nonprofit or venue-based experience is a plus.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, including creative storytelling, editing, and proofreading.
- Proficient in creating and managing engaging visual content using Adobe Creative Suite or other content creation software; Experience with content creation and comfort navigating social media platforms.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial and gender equity, and understanding the role inequities play in our society; experience leading diversity, equity, and inclusion work in an organization or a team a plus
- Strong project management skills, including the ability to plan out project steps, create and meet deadlines, manage schedules, communicate through challenges, and stay highly organized with competing priorities and information; Operates with thoughtfulness around accomplishing goals
- A collaborative approach to problem-solving, including the ability to pivot to meet immediate needs, or address unforeseen.
- A persistent commitment to communication in the face of challenge and conflict.
The strongest candidates will have:
- Experience supporting communications and marketing in a nonprofit organization, theater, performance space, music venue, or arts institution that deals with regular ticketing and events.
- Experience with Squarespace and Mailchimp
On The Boards is most interested in attracting a teammate who will be successful and fulfilled in this role, not just someone who can check off every box below. If you feel like this job excites and resonates with you but aren’t sure you fill all the qualifications of the role, please consider still applying. We are ready to grow with you.
How to Apply
Priority deadline for this role is October 7th, with an early review on September 30th. In lieu of a cover letter, please simply answer the two questions on our application.
On The Boards is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We respect and seek to empower each individual and support the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills, and experiences within our staff, students, and governing institutions. Candidates with diverse backgrounds and experience are encouraged to apply. On the Boards will engage in the interactive process to make reasonable accommodations that enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties when possible.
Job posted: 2022-09-18