Marketing and Communications: Senior Associate
About the Milken Institute
The Milken Institute is a nonprofit, nonpartisan think tank that helps people build meaningful lives in which they can experience health and well-being, pursue effective education and gainful employment, and access the resources required to create ever-expanding opportunities for themselves and their broader communities.
About the Position
The Milken Institute is seeking a Senior Associate to support its group responsible for publishing the thought leadership, research, and collateral materials developed by the executives leading the Institute’s multiple Centers and Departments. This includes on average more than 300 publications a year ranging from white papers, policy viewpoints, and research reports to op-eds, collateral, and meeting materials.
The Senior Associate will work with dozens of executives across the Institute and on subjects spanning health, finance, economics, and philanthropy to manage the entire publications process. S/he will be responsible for planning and editing publications, working with a pool of editorial assistants to manage processes and workflow, and coordinating with colleagues in the Marketing and Communications department—in design, media relations, government affairs, website, and social media—to prepare the materials for promotion.
The ideal candidate will have a background in communications with experience in government, academia, nonprofit, journalism, marketing, or a public relations agency. The individual should have a track record of successfully managing complex projects. The person must be a team player, take initiative, and run projects from start to finish independently. Excellent writing and communications skills, attention to detail, and the ability to multitask and meet deadlines are critical for success in this position.
This position reports to the Director, Publishing and Content and is part of an integrated marketing and communications department that includes talented and creative colleagues leading social media, web, digital, media relations, and government affairs efforts.
- Work with Institute executives to create and adhere to publication timelines that span several months
- Manage multiple projects at a time and keep all stakeholders apprised of progress
- Serve as an internal resource for Institute style guide, including editing citations
- Offer constructive feedback on publication drafts to ensure content targets appropriate audiences and inspires the desired impact
- Liaise with freelance editors and proofreaders as needed
- Collaborate across the marketing and communications team on publication releases and maintain an updated calendar for promotion of publications
This section should be used as a guide, not a checklist. We encourage you to apply and tell us about yourself even if you don’t meet each bullet on the list.
- Experience in project management, strategic problem-solving, editing, and attention to detail (proficiency in Chicago Manual of Style a plus)
- Communications background in business, government, academia, nonprofit, journalism, marketing, or a public relations agency, working across multiple clients
- Ability to work with principal stakeholders, including researchers and authors
- Interest in Milken Institute program areas, including health, economics, finance, and philanthropy
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in liberal arts, journalism, communications, public relations, public policy, or a related field preferred
- Minimum 3+ years of experience in communications or marketing
Note: Temporarily, due to COVID-19, this position is currently working remotely. You will be expected to be in one of our physical office locations on September 7, 2021. The date of return to the office is subject to federal and local state guidelines. In addition, you will be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas at this time. Being authorized to work in the US is a precondition of employment.
With our offices in Santa Monica, CA, Washington, DC, and New York, NY, the Milken Institute is proud to employ incredible people across the country. We are eligible to hire in CA, CT, DC, MA, MD, MO, NJ, NY, OR, and VA. Any candidate must reside in one of these jurisdictions prior to onboarding.
The statements herein are intended to describe the overall nature and level of work being performed by employees and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
Please submit a cover letter and resume—all application materials should be attached as PDF files. If applying via Indeed, please upload your resume and any supporting documentation as one attachment. Any application that does not include both a cover letter and a resume saved as PDFs will be rejected.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-07-23