Media and Campaigns Adviser
Save the Children Europe has an exciting opportunity for you to join our team as Media and Campaigns Advisor in our Brussels office for 12 months . Brussels is home to the European Union, a regional institution with global impact which plays a critical role in shaping children’s lives and helping to ensure their rights are fulfilled. The EU specifically addresses children’s rights and child protection concerns and has a direct role in relation to the situations of children who are vulnerable, socially excluded and/or affected by poverty in Europe and globally.
The post holder will undertake the media and campaigns elements of the EU advocacy Office’s work – particularly those relating to EU policies affecting children in EU external policies and relating to global health. This will include media and communications elements of the EU office’s contribution to the Save the Children Global Campaign ‘Every Last Child’ focused on achieving the Sustainable Development Goals, notably relating to health and nutrition, as well as our work on with and for the most vulnerable and excluded children – migrant and refugee children, children affected by conflict, or extreme poverty, and girls to achieve their rights:
The post-holder will use innovative campaign and communications approaches to ensure that Save the Children’s work impacts on the Brussels (EU) communications sphere in news, print and new media and that the voices of children and their priorities are heard by decision-makers.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Substantial experience in Communications and Media: previous experience of working in broadcasting and/or press agencies welcome;
- Relevant working experience in Communications on EU development, international relation issues either for a non-governmental organisation or international organisation
- Good knowledge and understanding of the EU, and its role in in development, humanitarian, and poverty issues globally as well as in the EU
- Proven ability to design Communication / Media / Campaigns strategies and implement them effectively
- Excellent communication skills, proven ability to tailor messages to non-specialist audiences, especially through new media and mainstream EU news media
- Understanding of press corps and experience in relationship and network building with journalists
- Strong aptitude for creative and visual Communications and campaigning– experience in putting together multimedia strategies and content creation (infographics, tweet sheets, videos etc) is an asset
- Strong convening and coordination skills and proven ability to manage relationships across complex organisations to deliver projects
- Experience of successfully operating in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- A commitment to and an understanding of NGO work at European level
- Commitment to Save the Children’s values
- Ability to work and write in English and a good command of French.
We offer a competitive package in the context of the sector with an option of flexible of working hours
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at www.savethechildren.net/careers/apply
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Save the Children does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
Job posted: 2020-09-08