Media and Communications Specialist
Summary of Position:
The Media and Communications Specialist serves as an integral part of the lean and efficient External Relations & Communications team based in Philadelphia, PA. One of three positions on the team, the Media and Communications Specialist will focus on Media Relations, External & – supporting HR – Internal Communications, supporting Digital and Social Media, and Multi-media Content Development.
The Media and Communication Specialist must be an experienced, positive, organized and highly-motivated professional in the field of communications and external relations, preferably in science and technology, that thrives in a team-oriented environment and can balance multiple projects and priorities simultaneously.
The Media and Communications Specialist must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and have successful experience managing projects to completion in large organizations with multiple stakeholders.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work collaboratively with a team of multiple internal stakeholders, including functional leadership in Italy, to plan, propose and execute media relations and strategic communications for Leonardo Helicopters (commercial & defense) predominantly in the US and Americas, supporting other geographies and lines of business as needed;
- Maintain regular communication with internal stakeholders in sales and marketing functions to develop stories on company or customer activities to advance new business or brand awareness objectives;
- Develop and maintain close media relations relationships across other divisions to improve Leonardo institutional press efforts; work with a team to give input and support as needed for other Leonardo media initiatives across all divisions such as Space, Electronics and Aircraft;
- Media monitoring – share & elevate critical news stories and propose responses when necessary; analyze all efforts and report on quality and quantity of resulting articles. Regularly distribute media links and stories of interest to senior staff in Philadelphia;
- Support spokesperson preparation and/or serve as spokesperson, under supervision and direction of local and central function management, and coordinate official responses of daily media inquiries;
- Draft written materials, including press releases, talking points, speeches, presentation decks, and other communications tools, and provide editorial review for public speeches and presentations;
- Work with a team to provide guidance to business units as the voice for External Relations & Communications on routine and priority initiatives and generate ideas for robust and diverse coverage;
- Responsible for developing Leonardo Philadelphia (AWPC)’s internal communications that include content development and distribution to all team members across the US and Central America.
- Responsible for geographical management and strategic enhancement of Leonardo’s brand identity in the US, which includes promoting the company to publications and outlets with national visibility and across various mediums (traditional media, digital publications, nonprofit organizations that promote thought leadership);
- Collaborate with senior leadership at the local level and throughout the central function to prepare and maintain plan for strategic crisis communications;
- Regularly collaborate with Digital Communications team by regularly generating new content while ensuring current news are covered via all available media channels such as Leonardo’s website, social media channels, and internal communications tools in addition to traditional media;
- Local business unit support to all offices and functions resident across US sites with communications or external relations requirements;
- Work collaboratively with marketing colleagues to support Helicopters in the US with regards to marketing materials, events, exhibitions, sponsorships, memberships and thought leadership opportunities for senior executives;
- Administrative Management of US and Canadian-based memberships and sponsorships in partnership with marketing colleagues;
- Coordination with marketing & business units to develop yearly advertising plans in accordance with budget and sales objectives;
- Support the public relations/event function as needed with official delegations, visits, and tours;
- Work with a team to support communications aspects of government relations work, as relevant to local internal customers and with company consultants and lobbyists;
- Administrative management of all relevant processes, procedures and directives including but not limited to payments, authorization and compliance, digital content archiving, branding consistency and reporting;
- A willingness and flexibility to positively contribute to other tasks as needed, even in support roles.
Qualifications for Position:
- Bachelor’s Degree in communications or related field
- Master’s Degree preferred
- Minimum of 5 years professional experience in communications, public relations, and/or marketing – preferably in science and technology (experience in aerospace, defense and government would ideally provide added value for the requirement);
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and balance multiple projects in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Minimum of 2 years hands-on communications experience working with the media, preferably science and technology, – national defense, business, or political media would ideally provide added value, and across all mediums including digital and social media.
Competencies & Attributes
- Familiarity with communication fundamentals including strategic writing and messaging, content development, proofing, editing, story pitching, and speech writing;
- Demonstrable experience leading national and/or global communications activities or campaigns;
- Ability to manage work effectively in a team or independently, including cross-functional colleagues and cross-geographical locations;
- Ability to achieve project completion targets, often with tight deadlines, with a high degree of of quality and attention to details;
- Superior people skills with a high degree of professionalism that can be leveraged to represent the company in official capacities and work with senior executives, customers and VIPs on communications activities in the US;
- Very strong interpersonal, and motivational skills that can be used to build positive and productive relationships with teammates across all geographies with an awareness and appreciation for cultural diversity;
- Experience and comfort with public speaking;
- Knowledge of accounting and budgeting principles;
- Knowledge of aerospace or similar industry desired;
- Positive attitude, strong work ethic, consistent reliability and team-oriented approach;
- Comfortable working in fast paced, high pressure and entrepreneurial environment and capable of solving problems and building consensus;
- Additional working hours may occasionally be required, including nights, weekends and holidays;
- 30-40% travel (domestic/international); Flexibility to travel when required, however travel has currently been suspended due to the pandemic.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Vet/Disability
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-12-28