Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Media and Digital Manager
Mighty Earth is a global advocacy organization working to defend a living planet. We are obsessed with impact: Our goal is to protect half of Earth for Nature and secure a climate that allows life to flourish. We aspire to be the most effective environmental organization in the world.
Through our proven “perfect storm” model of driving change, we have played a leading role in persuading the world’s largest food and agriculture companies to act against deforestation land-grabbing, human rights abuse, and driven the adoption of multi-billion-dollar shifts to clean energy.
Read more about our approach and our campaign in the following resources;
How Pressuring Corporations Can Save the Amazon from Destruction (Yale Environment 360)
About the Position
Outstanding strategic communications have been and will continue to be at the center of Mighty Earth’s success and identity. We are a communications-forward organization, and we take pride in that. While the role is broader than just media relations, that has always been an area where we have excelled, and we are looking to build on and extend that strength while cultivating a comprehensive approach to communications.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Media Relations: Cultivating and managing relationships with domestic and international reporters. We have built a global network of media connections and attention by driving domestic and international media coverage in the areas we work.
- Digital Communications: Developing and implementing social media content to support our campaigns, promote Mighty Earth as a thought leader, and communicate with key stakeholder groups. You will also coordinate with the Digital Team to support content for the website.
- Communications Planning & Message Development: Support the development of comprehensive and strategic campaign communications plans and messaging, as well as creative communications tactics around campaign launches, report releases, and campaign branding/positioning. You will play a key role in identifying and responding to media opportunities and preparing the organization to react quickly to global events. You will also assist Campaign Directors with planning and executing live events as appropriate, such as grassroots actions and social media events.
- Organization Building: Developing and implementing internal communications and marketing plans to help grow the organization. You will assist in the implementation of new systems and standards for communication programs. You will also engage in media and marketing efforts to help build the firm’s brand and reach.
- Writing & Editing: Writing and editing a variety of communications materials, both internal and external, including press releases, reporter pitches, blog posts, talking points and campaign media plans. You will work with Campaign Directors to guide the design and production of collateral materials and multimedia assets, including reports, videos, infographics, leave-behinds and live event props and related materials.
- Organizational Communications. Participate in the writing of fundraising and organizational materials and assist program teams with content development and organizational consistency.
Who You Are:
- You have 5+ years of experience in media relations and communications strategy, with a preference for communications experience at a public affairs/PR agency or nonprofit.
- You have existing relationships with U.S. and/or international media and excitement for cultivating and managing relationships with reporters regularly.
- You have experience with social media and how to use it to build name recognition and organizational interest.
- You have a background or interest in the U.S. and global environmental, climate, energy issues, and social justice issues.
- You have an ability to get up to speed quickly on complex issues and manage multiple simultaneous projects with many moving pieces. You have a facility for synthesizing complex topics into engaging and creative communications.
- You have grit and resilience. You drive projects to completion and accomplish your goals but are also able to pivot easily to address an emergent issue or seize an opportunity.
- You have experience with brand development, internal communications, and the production of marketing materials.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- You can work well in a team setting; you know how to collaborate and also when to work independently. You are a good listener who connects with people; you know how to “manage up” across working and management styles.
- You pay strong attention to detail.
- You have experience working on environmental issues and campaigns.
- You speak Spanish, Portuguese, French, Chinese or another language in addition to English.
- You have an international orientation and ideally, have experience working with international campaign teams and colleagues.
- You have a bachelor’s degree in a related field.
More about our team: Mighty Earth is made up of people from various backgrounds including people with backgrounds in non-profit organizations, election campaigns, government, the private sector, and legislative offices, at a range of experience levels. We pride ourselves on being a welcoming place for people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, parents, empty-nesters, and more.
Approach and Culture:
Consistent with our obsession with impact, Mighty Earth is results-focused, entrepreneurial, collaborative, and nimble – and we seek candidates who are excited to work in that culture. While remaining true to our public interest mission and commitment to movement-building, we’ve sought to apply the best of business to our organization. A resource that has informed our approach to culture is the book No Rules Rules and the famous Netflix culture deck.
Details: This is a full-time position and candidates can be based in Washington, DC or London, UK. You will report to our Senior Director of Communications.
Application Deadline: Please submit your application as soon as possible. Please include a thoughtful cover letter which speaks to our mission and demonstrates your writing abilities and also let us know where you heard about the job.
Compensation and benefits: This is a full-time role. The annual pay range is $76-$95,000 with exact pay depending on experience. If you require reasonable accommodations in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact Jeanne-Marie at email@example.com.
Mighty Earth is an equal opportunity employer; we strictly prohibit discrimination against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression and any other characteristic protected by law. Women, people of color, and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly encouraged to apply
Job posted: 2022-11-05