Media & External Affairs Lead
BeiGene continues to grow at a rapid pace with challenging and exciting opportunities for experienced professionals. When considering candidates, we look for scientific and business professionals who are highly motivated, collaborative, and most importantly, share our passionate interest in fighting cancer.
The Media & External Affairs Lead will build on reputation and visibility objectives for BeiGene, a global biotech company. The leader will be the front lines of media interactions, a Company spokesperson and key risk management steward monitoring the external environment. This position requires a natural born storyteller with the appetite to engage in establishing BeiGene’s narrative in a number of public engagements. This will require an exceptional understanding of the business and science media landscape with a deep network of media contacts. Creativity is a must as this position will drives media relations activities and sell a variety of pitches and stories related to BeiGene’s financials, culture ESG and public health and policy initiatives.
In addition, this role requires strategic counsel on crisis and reputation as it related to key issues facing BeiGene’s growth and ability to operate.
Essential Functions of the job:
- Identify strategic opportunities to get clients visibility among target audiences.
- Develop media relations strategies and oversee execution efforts, including developing target lists, drafting pitches and conducting outreach.
- Monitor news daily to uncover new opportunities.
- Nurture relationships with journalists on behalf of BeiGene
- Research, track and pursue editorial opportunities.
- Develop strategic positioning and prepare submission materials for conferences and virtual events.
- Work with key executives to raise visibility of key platforms and company objectives.
- Partner with colleagues in other departments when necessary to develop and execute multi-channel media strategies
- Proven ability to effectively organize multiple deadlines across projects
- Advanced writing, editing, research ability
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Candidates have finger on the pulse of science and business news
- Trains third party spokespeople
- Edits media materials and documents
- Identifies, negotiates, and supervises activities of spokespeople
- Grows and maintains key media contacts
- Proficient in using social channels to monitor editorial contacts’ social media posts/content for pitch ideas and insights
- Creates and maintains social media editor list and can secure coverage for clients on editorial social channels (Facebook LIVE, Snapchat Instagram); shares new opportunities with company and maintains relationships on behalf of the company
- Directs team on monitoring social media trends to help frame stories
- A self-starter attitude
- At least four years of experience working in communications and pitching media, with a preference for fast-paced corporate environment experience
- Strong writing, research and pitching skills
- A deep interest and diligent following of current news events and media platforms, particularly relevant to client issues
- Effective project management skills and the ability to adapt to changing needs and numerous assignments
- Excellent time management and organizational skills and strong attention to detail
- Ability to present information in a digestible way
- An innate understanding of how to strategically position your BeiGene spokespeople for different targets
- The ability to work effectively with a team to conceptualize and execute strategies
- Experience and ability to work effectively with a remote team
- Relationships with editors, freelancers and writers
- Ability to work with C-Suite executives to support media initiatives
- Ability to direct teams in support of media engagements
Education Required: Bachelor’s degree required and graduate degree preferred. Preferably a Master’s degree in political science/public administration, biology/chemistry, or public health.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically in accordance with BeiGene’s Code of Business Conduct and Ethics, policies and procedures.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Follows instructions and responds to management direction.
- Communication – Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Writes clearly and informatively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Shares expertise with others.
- Adaptability – Able to adapt to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and development areas; Pursues training and opportunities for growth; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Dependability – Follows instructions and responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Project Management – Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and within budget.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. BeiGene does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
BeiGene is a global, commercial-stage, research-based biotechnology company focused on molecularly targeted and immuno-oncology cancer therapeutics. Currently employees are located in APAC, United States and Europe. BeiGene is advancing a pipeline consisting of novel oral small molecules and monoclonal antibodies for the treatment of cancer. BeiGene is working to create combination solutions aimed at having both a meaningful and lasting impact on cancer patients. For more information, see www.beigene.com.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-04-12