COORDINATES WITH: Media Officers, Media and Public Relations Director, Public Engagement Department including digital specialists, writers, designers, Advocacy Advisors, Policy Advisors, Government Affairs team, Oxfam International and Oxfam affiliates, various vendors and freelancers.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
To create and implement media strategies that build on Oxfam America’s profile on advocacy efforts in the United States. To initiate high-quality media coverage that influences key policy and corporate decision makers in the United States, raises broad awareness of Oxfam’s campaigns, compliments the Oxfam America communications strategy and reaches Oxfam’s target audiences and geographies.
- Generate regular, strategic, high-quality media coverage of Oxfam America’s advocacy initiatives through sophisticated and creative proactive and reactive media work.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key journalists in the print, broadcast and digital media.
- Write and edit messaging, talking points, press releases, blogs, opinion pieces, organize press events, and other related work.
- Create media strategies in coordination with Associate Director for Media and other press officers to ensure that all media work is integrated to support broad Oxfam America communications plan that expands the public profile and impact of Oxfam in the United States.
- Seek, arrange, and facilitate media interviews for Oxfam spokespeople and assist staff with media skills development.
- Work closely with members of the Digital Engagement team to brainstorm and implement creative, multi-platform offerings.
- Monitor, evaluate, and draw conclusions on impact of media work.
- Work with other Oxfam America media officers to coordinate and develop joint strategies.
- Work with press, advocacy, and field staff from other Oxfam affiliates as well as Oxfam International regarding advocacy strategies and initiatives.
- Coordinate with Advocacy Advisors, Creative Alliances Manager, and Senior Entertainment Relations Advisor to seek opportunities to work with Oxfam ambassadors, artists and musicians in the support of our campaigns.
EXPECTATIONS FOR THE POSITION:
- Will stay abreast of professional standards, trends and issues affecting this set of responsibilities, demonstrating continuous learning of the field.
- Will work effectively and collaboratively in support of building a team-based culture of work, advancing feminist principles in everything we do, perform all duties appropriately for a multi-cultural environment, treating all persons with dignity and respect, and will be familiar with and committed to Oxfam America mission, goals and values.
- Will have an understanding of gender justice and diversity within key areas of responsibility and a commitment to promoting gender justice and diversity in our workplace and programs.
- Within key areas of responsibility, will have a commitment to providing a safe environment for staff, partners, and beneficiaries, and a commitment to promoting safeguarding in our workplace, programs, and the communities we serve.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, International relations, Political Science or related field.
Experience and Core Competencies:
- Five years of experience in the media or public relations field, ideally specializing in the promotion of advocacy campaigns.
- Proven ability to persuade by the written and spoken word.
- Substantial knowledge and proven success in media relations is essential.
- Proven success in promoting policy areas in the popular media and with a specialized policy audience.
- Interest in and experience with multi-platform communications campaigns.
- Existing key media contacts.
- Commitment to the goals of Oxfam’s policy initiatives, development work overseas and educational role in the United States.
- Demonstrated skills in media relations and writing for both the general public and policy makers.
- Strong media instincts and demonstrated experience creating and implementing media strategies in the policy arena.
- Demonstrated ability to participate in the development and promotion of public policy.
- The ability and experience to balance multiple demands and deadlines with composure.
- Knowledge of issues relevant to international development and anti-poverty work.
- Demonstrated ability to serve as public spokesperson with media and large audiences.
- A positive attitude and eagerness to work in a collaborative team environment.
- Advocacy communications or international development policy background.
- Experience or expertise in Oxfam’s issue areas, such as income inequality, climate change, foreign aid, refugee and migrant rights, gender equality, human rights, and international cooperation.
- Ability to communicate in Spanish and/or French.
Exempt/Union Band: DC F Band
Oxfam America is a Gender Just organization and an equal opportunity employer. We have a zero tolerance policy for any sexual harassment, exploitation, and/or abuse. We welcome all persons to apply and do not discriminate. We take measures to prevent discrimination against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-01-12