Media and Public Relations Manager
Manages and leads international media and public relations programs and agency relationships for international regions & markets, focused on creating and enhancing public awareness and positive reputation of Mary Kay, its special events, independent business opportunity and independent sales force. Assists Global and Regional Communications Sr. Manager with the development, implementation and execution of the Company’s public/media relations and crisis communications strategy, corporate reputation development and image management globally. Oversees strategic communications counsel on media relations and crisis communications matters and oversees the development, initialization and maintenance of proactive public/media relations activities and strategies as well as reactive crisis communications strategies regarding corporate, ingredient, employee and independent sales force issues. Ensures all international programs, messages and materials are consistent with Mary Kay Inc.’s public and media relations objectives and support the Company’s overall objectives. Leads execution of domestic and/or international crisis communications by analyzing crisis situations and drafting statements to support corporate strategies on various issues.
Global = Execute Strategy
Region = Develop Strategy
Market = Support Strategy
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
MEDIA RELATIONS & CRISIS MANAGEMENT:
- Serves as a media relations resource and liaison in the global markets, working in partnership with Global and Regional Communications Sr. Manager.
- Oversees and directly contributes to developing programs that generate positive digital and traditional media coverage. Monitors media relations programs to ensure that all are consistent with overall corporate image and business objectives. Trains and provides orientation sessions for subsidiary representatives and media spokespeople, including media training, which may occur through external resources. Serves as a resource to the business by sharing corporate press materials and coordinating departmental participation in assimilations for domestic and/or international public relations counterparts.
- Fields and delegates calls from reporters requesting information for local and national articles about the Company. Supervises the process to evaluate reporter requests to determine viability of participation. Acts as a Company spokesperson as directed, arranges executive interviews as needed, and conducts necessary follow-up. Oversees response to media calls, national calls, and/or calls with potential for independent sales force feedback.
- Supervises and is responsible for the development of short-term, reactive corporate crisis communications strategies and tools, such as standby media statements and independent sales force verbal response statements that define the official Company position or reaction to crisis situations and enable the Company to provide consistent, on-target messages to all relevant internal and external audiences. Manages execution of ongoing and long-term crisis communications responsibilities. Interfaces with a wide variety of departments as needed, including Manufacturing, Medical Relations, Sales Development, Government Affairs, Legal Resources, and others during crisis communication situations.
- Directly partners with the international markets in the development of proactive media releases, advisories and social media content announcing Company news and information. Encourages strategic focus toward proactive communications that create and enhance local consumer and public awareness of Mary Kay, our corporate mission and corporate citizenship.
- Directly partners with international markets in developing and managing relationships with local and inational journalists as well as outside public relations agencies, including those providing crisis counsel.
- Manages publicizing of media mentions to employees and the independent sales force via internal corporate and/or independent sales force communication vehicles. Assists and supervises assistance of independent sales force and corporate employees in understanding how media mentions can enhance success. Participates in frequent presentations on departmental successes, goals, and strategies to various internal and/or independent sales force groups.
- Manages ongoing public relations and media training and guidance to corporate executives and members of the independent sales force. Develops and/or supervises development of press materials and news releases for independent sales force use.
- Responsible for support of global public relations strategies.
- Responsible for developing regional strategies to elevate global public relations strategies, support region leadership to amplify region initiatives, and support markets within region as required.
- Participates in and leads the planning and implementation of an annual communications plan to shape and enhance consumers’ perception of the Company, the independent sales force and the Mary Kay independent business opportunity. Establishes programs and compelling outreach to editors of major magazines, newspapers, and broadcast media to create favorable awareness of the Company.
- Develops, directly supervises and is responsible for the development of international programs that generate positive news coverage – traditional and digital — of Mary Kay Inc., its independent sales force and corporate activities.
- Develops compelling story angles, identifies media trends, news cycles and spin opportunities, to keep the company relevant and enhance public opinion.
- Drafts press materials and social media content, develops media campaigns to garner positive media coverage, and manages print, broadcast and digital inquiries as necessary by interfacing with relevant Company executives, drafting relevant materials and facilitating implementation.
- Develops blog and social media content based on PR strategies for global and international markets on social media platforms.
COLLABORATION & SUPPORT:
- Supervises and oversees engagements with outside public relations agencies. Provides strategic direction for and manages execution of public relations plans under direction of Global and Regional Communications Sr. Manager. Manages communication with agency, budget and outreach programs with regard to general-market media.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Communications, English, Journalism, related field or equivalent.
Experience: 8+ years of experience in corporate or agency public relations, and crisis communications required. Proven examples of successful public relation campaigns preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and lead corporate public and media relations and corporate image programs in order to garner positive media coverage.
- Crisis communications experience required, with crisis communications and media relations experience.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Must demonstrate ability to draft and edit clean and concise press releases, media alerts, analysis, crisis responses, recommendations and other key documents.
- Must have strong presentation skills, as well as poise under high-pressure crisis situations. Must be able to react credibly and effectively with sudden changes in media climate or crisis situations and effectively communicate with top management, international subsidiaries, media and the independent sales force.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, tact, diplomacy and a high level of professionalism.
- Strong people management and budget skills in order to directly supervise experienced team members and outside PR counsel and their projects. Requires ability to plan and orchestrate budgets for outside agency projects and provide concise, clearly defined objectives for Mary Kay projects and corporate image programs in order to execute a successful media campaign.
- Must be able to effectively juggle multiple tasks, projects and priorities while supervising experienced team members.
- Strong business writing skills (business and AP style), plus proficiency in Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Ability to perform database searches is also important.
- Domestic and international travel up to 25%-35% of the time required.
Looking for a career where you can make a difference? At Mary Kay we are committed to enriching the lives of women and their families around the world, we offer careers with unlimited opportunities to do something beautiful every day. More than 5,000 employees work in locations around the world. They provide the products, marketing and other support to millions of Independent Beauty Consultants (IBCs) who work as independent contractors, selling our products directly to consumers in nearly 40 markets on five continents.
We are a company that believes in our people and cares for them with truly exceptional benefits. We offer:
- A comprehensive health plan which includes medical, dental, and vision with low premiums
- 401(k) plan
- A generous profit-sharing program
- Free access to on-site fitness center and on-site clinic
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-07-18