Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Media Relations Advisor
Job Role Summary
The Media Relations Advisor serves as an official spokesperson for ExxonMobil along with being an integral member of the broader communications team. As an experienced professional who is passionate about the industry and is dedicated to the advancement of ExxonMobil’s brand, this leader works in close partnership with the Corporate Public & Government Affairs team to proactively manage the reputation of the company through a comprehensive, strategic media relations plan and program.
This position will handle the day-to-day activities associated with media relations including media inquiries, relationship building with key journalists, managing communication workflows and working with divisional colleagues to ensure consistent and focused messages. He/she is responsible for advancing the media relationships with major domestic and international news media, coordinating media tactics in support of major announcements, activities and crises, as well as proactive, integrated communications plans to protect and promote the corporation’s reputation. The position can be located in either Houston or Dallas, Texas.
- Serves as a communications advisor to the senior leadership team
- Develops briefing documents, gains agreement on key messages and informs colleagues to ensure broad understanding and coordination of communications strategies
- Works closely with corporate, regional, divisional, and local site representatives to ensure broad understanding of and alignment with external communications strategies
- Bachelor’s Degree minimum (in journalism, communications, public relations, political science, English, literature, or classics preferred); advanced degree in policy-related discipline also advantageous
- A demonstrated track record of achievement in external communications
- Strong writing and editing skills and solid experience developing speeches, executive letters, publications, blog posts, and other written materials
- Ability to write quickly and under pressure
- Team-oriented management of each communications project
- A minimum of ten years of experience, including integrated communications, media relations, journalism, editorial writing, or related areas
Preferred Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
- Ability to influence without authority
- Ability to quickly understand, assimilate, and communicate complex issues
- Familiarity and interest in issues related to energy, economics, the environment, corporate citizenship, and government relations
- Strong project-management skills with an ability to multi-task and remain flexible when priorities change; public policy experience is advantageous
- A positive, proactive team-oriented attitude, culturally sensitive and ideally familiar with the working environment of a large, international organization
- Understanding and respect for international protocols, and cultural differences
ExxonMobil is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Job posted: 2022-04-19