Media Relations Coordinator (Job ID: 2020-2395)
Join one of the most influential, most quoted and most trusted think tanks!
The Brookings Institution is a nonprofit public policy organization based in Washington, DC. Our mission is to conduct in-depth research that leads to new ideas for solving problems facing society at the local, national and global level.
We bring together leading experts in government and academia from all over the world, rooted in open-minded inquiry and representing diverse points of view, who provide the highest quality research, policy recommendations, and analysis. Research topics cover a full range of public policy issues in economics, foreign policy, development, governance and metropolitan policy.
With fair and transparent business practices, clear communication, mutual respect, and a collaborative atmosphere that offers both professional and personal development opportunities, Brookings offers an inclusive and welcoming workplace that values the efforts of all contributors.
The Governance Studies program at Brookings is dedicated to analyzing policy issues, political institutions and processes, and contemporary governance challenges. Our scholarship identifies areas in need of reform and proposes specific solutions with the goals of: improving the performance of the national government; informing debate; and providing policymakers with expert analysis and ideas to ensure better institutional governance.
Please note: This position is based in Brookings’ Washington, DC office. In response to COVID-19, Brookings staff are temporarily teleworking.
Ready to contribute to Brookings success?
The Media Relations Coordinator collaborates with Governance Studies (GS) scholars and Communications staff in developing, executing, and monitoring communications strategies. Responsibilities include writing press releases, building media lists, coordinating media requests for scholars, organizing press events, updating scholar bios on the website, drafting and executing newsletters, writing and promoting social media content, designing website visuals, charts, and graphs, and laying out papers. This role also involves tracking and reporting analytics for communications campaigns. Brookings is proud to be an equal- opportunity employer that is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are specially encouraged to apply.
Media Outreach (50%)
- In collaboration with Director of Communications, strategize media outreach and promotion and proactively pitch GS products and events.
- Serve as main media relations point of contact for Governance Studies, writing and disseminating press releases and working with the promotions team to share with appropriate digital audiences.
- Expand reach to targeted audiences through proactive media outreach and by establishing relationships with reporters from relevant publications.
- Work with program communications staff to react to breaking news by offering our experts for interviews and comments.
Web Content & Newsletter Management (25%)
- Using established content management system, update and maintain all program, center, and project content and web pages under GS in accordance with Brookings website standards and consistent with program’s research and communications goals.
- Applies taxonomy and other metadata to optimize content presentation on various parts of the program’s pages and Brookings website at large.
- Recommends sound search engine optimization practices for all GS content published on website.
- Drafts teaser and summary language to accompany site content, in conjunction with research and communications team; and suggests accompanying photos.
- Updates and maintains GS expert biography pages with new content and information.
- Maintains proficiency in HTML, SEO practices, online newsletter creation and other online communications applications and standards (e.g., participates in training sessions, learns new software applications to further develop skills).
- Evaluates the performance of the program’s web pages regularly; works with Communications analytics team to conduct a monthly analysis of the performance of the program’s web pages; prepares reports and charts demonstrating web performance to share with the programs
- Formats and distributes electronic newsletters in conjunction with GS research and communications staff; advises GS on best newsletter strategy and practices; coordinates with Communications to analyze and report on newsletter metrics and continually improve newsletters.
Social Media, Data Visualization, Paper Design, and Digital Support (25%)
- Live-Tweets events and writes wrap-up reports on events’ highlights for post-event online content.
- Designs data visualizations such as charts and graphs for use on Brookings website and social media channels.
- Lays out papers for Brookings website.
- Elevates the presence of GS scholars across social media channels.
Ready to make an impact? In this role, you will support Brookings values of collegiality, respect, inclusion, diversity and community, and bring the following qualifications:
Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Public Policy, Communications, Journalism, Marketing, or a related field required. Three years of related experience required, preferably in a media relations capacity. Proven interest in political science and/or public policy a must. Must be authorized to work for any employer in the U.S.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to innovatively, creatively and effectively promote Governance Studies research and events to the media and general public. Initiative, dependability, news and public policy savvy, and an ability to successfully juggle multiple projects and competing priorities simultaneously. Familiarity with databases for conducting media outreach such as CISION or Meltwater. HTML and design skills and knowledge of web Content Management Systems such as WordPress. Must be able to learn other new technology applications for communications, data visualization, and design. Knowledge of and interest in domestic policy and governance issues strongly preferred.
What can we offer you? Brookings provides a generous benefit package that is comprehensive and includes both traditional benefits and unique offerings.
Brookings requires that all applicants submit a cover letter and resume. Please attach your cover letter and resume as one document when you apply.
Successful completion of a background investigation is required for employment at Brookings.
Brookings is an equal-opportunity employer that is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, or other factors protected by law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-08-27