Media Relations Director
To Apply: Please follow this link.
ABC’s Position Descriptions are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent(s) of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position. ABC’s Position Descriptions do not create a contract, express or imply, or other legal rights between ABC and any staff member, nor guarantee employment or specific duties for any specific duration. ABC may add, change, delete, suspend or discontinue any of these positions and descriptions at any time without prior notice.
Founded in 1950, Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) is a national construction industry trade association representing nearly 21,000 members. Founded on the merit shop philosophy, ABC and its 69 chapters help members develop people, win work and deliver that work safely, ethically, profitably and for the betterment of the communities in which ABC and its members work. Visit us at abc.org.
ABC seeks an accomplished media relations professional with demonstrated success in earned media to lead communications outreach representing commercial and industrial merit shop construction contractors.
The Media Relations Director will be a strategist and a tactician who advances the success of ABC’s legislative, legal and regulatory affairs; industry workforce development; safety performance improvement initiatives; economic analysis; and education and events. The position works with the Vice President of Public Affairs & Member Services and the Senior Director of Public Affairs to plan and execute communications initiatives including media outreach and tracking, message creation and distribution in a variety formats, management of Public Affairs website content and social media initiatives.
This position is based in Washington, D.C. Due to the coronavirus pandemic, ABC staff are working remotely but have the option of working in our Capitol Hill office. Remote applicants will be considered with the understanding that working on site is desired for staffing in-person interviews at a later date.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Develop and execute proactive strategies for media and external relations, including outreach to industry groups and local and national media and coordinating with other departments within the association to develop strategic messaging supporting ABC’s priorities.
- Analyze and synthesize complex information, including economic reports, surveys, legislation, regulation and court decisions, and distill it into clear, effective messages. Seek opportunities to gain visibility for ABC’s safety, workforce development, advocacy and member service initiatives with national, trade and local press. Spearhead new media relations initiatives.
- Respond to daily media inquiries, including serving as ABC spokesperson when appropriate. Identify, train and coach staff and member spokespersons.
- Assess and respond to potential risks or negative exposure for the organization, including crisis communications.
- Monitor print and online publications for stories affecting ABC and the construction industry and keep key audiences informed through weekly, quarterly and annual media reports in various formats. Keep staff and leadership apprised of achievements and developing issues.
- Maintain a list of key media contacts for major ABC issues and establish positive working relationships with them.
- Manage distribution of ABC messages on key issues in a variety of formats, including social media, video, websites, newswires, weekly member newsletter, etc. Plan and conduct media events at jobsites and conferences and media teleconferences.
- Develop contacts related to key ABC issues in the media and government; attend hearings and coalition meetings, as needed.
- Oversee ABC’s economic data releases, including managing the budget, writing, editing and distributing economic content, in conjunction with the ABC Chief Economist, ensuring it is delivered in a variety of interactive formats (charts, infographics, video, etc.) and in the context of the larger economy.
- Manage electronic distribution of news releases, newsletters and other member, chapter and media communications through Meltwater or other media relations software, including maintaining email templates and updating as necessary.
- Stay current on new and evolving media relations best practices. Develop budget recommendations and oversee vendor negotiations and selection.
- Ensure ABC messages are being distributed in engaging formats, including video, infographics, social media, slide shows, etc., and create those materials, as needed.
- Collaborate with ABC’s social media, government affairs, safety, meetings and other internal teams to achieve fluency on the association’s goals, events and issues and help create winning messages and outreach campaigns.
- Provide media relations support for ABC chapters, including crisis communication assistance, writing letters to the editor and press releases/statements/media advisories, developing press lists. Provide guidance on responding to inquiries and developing pitches. Conduct training and create tools and guides to educate chapters on media relations best practices.
- Write and edit content for ABC National and chapter communications, including Newsline, industry publications, chapter magazines/newsletters, blogs, talking points, scripts and speeches.
- Superior oral and written communication skills, including strong editing skills.
- Excellent writing and editing skills; mastery of AP Style.
- Experience acting as a spokesperson and demonstrated track record of generating media coverage and communicating messages effectively.
- Excellent project management and organization skills, able to manage competing priorities, including assignments on tight deadlines and long-term projects.
- Attention to detail.
- Familiarity with construction industry, economic reports and the political and regulatory process.
- Familiarity with media databases and working knowledge of content management systems.
- Experience optimizing media resources for digital platforms; ability to create infographics and dynamic charts.
- Photography/videography skills a plus.
- Association experience a plus.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, marketing or a related field from an accredited college or university.
- 8 years of communications experience.
To achieve our mission, we hire energetic and fun-loving individuals who possess the following skills:
- Professional demeanor and presentation of self.
- Ability to organize and manage several priorities simultaneously while working under pressure and deadlines.
- Writing and verbal skills.
- Self-starter, highly organized.
- Coordination of projects, meetings and/or events a plus.
- Strong organization, multi-tasking and time management skills with the ability to work in a demanding self-directed work schedule.
- Effectively utilizes tools/resources to work efficiently.
- Ability to take ownership of a process and to use problem solving skills to resolve issues.
- Demonstrates the highest level of personal and ethical standards.
- Work accurately with close attention to detail.
- It is the continuing policy of ABC to take affirmative action to assure equal opportunity for all current and prospective employees without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, personal appearance, marital status, familial status, family responsibility, pregnancy or other pregnancy-related conditions, childbirth, disability, military/veteran status, citizenship status, religion or political affiliation, past convictions or incarceration, prior psychiatric treatment, or any other status protected by federal or state law, local ordinance or Executive Orders. ABC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- ADA: ABC will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
- While performing the responsibilities of the State and Local Affairs Manager job, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers, to handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- This position is performed in a typical office environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
Job posted: 2020-10-13