Media Relations Manager
Solely funded by philanthropists Gary and Mary West, West Health includes the nonprofit and nonpartisan Gary and Mary West Health Institute and Gary and Mary West Foundation in San Diego, and the Gary and Mary West Health Policy Center in Washington, D.C. These organizations are working together toward a shared mission: lowering the cost of healthcare to enable successful aging with access to high-quality, affordable health and support services that preserve and protect their dignity, quality of life and independence. For more information, visit westhealth.org and follow @westhealth.
West Health seeks to hire a Media Relations Manager to join its growing communications team. This individual will manage media outreach for West Health by planning and executing communications campaigns and strategies for national, local, and trade media. The position will coordinate interviews with reporters and producers, write press releases and media advisories, pitches stories and manages West Health’s media database. They will also be responsible for writing talking points, policy summaries, and other materials as needed. The Media Relations Manager will collaborate on digital projects, including social media efforts and website management. This is an ideal role for a self-starter who can think creatively and strategically to garner earned media in a competitive news climate. The role reports to the Director of Communications and will also work closely with members of West Health’s leadership, policy, and research teams.
Essential Duties & Functions
- Assist in the development, implementation, and execution of West Health’s multi-channel communications plan
- Work closely with the Director of Communications and others to identify and implement new strategies to further the organization’s brand recognition
- Write and distribute press releases, media statements, Q&A docs, talking points, policy summaries and other materials as needed
- Develop and nurture relationships with national, local, and trade reporters, editors, producers, bookers, and other media influencers
- Pitch stories, secure media coverage, and draft and place op-eds and other pieces as assigned
- Maintain and grow West Health’s database of media contacts
- Identify new ways to raise awareness of the issues and challenges facing seniors by showcasing real-life stories, driving policy initiatives, and promoting best-practices and innovative solutions
- Provide talking points on key policy issues and help prepare West Health leadership for media interviews/interactions
- Stay on top of the latest news and developments, and disseminate a daily curation of news related to West Health’s work
- Assist with the organization’s social media efforts (Facebook, Twitter, blogs)
- Collaborate on website maintenance and design to ensure that new and consistent information (articles, stories, press releases and events) is updated and maintained on a consistent basis
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of the strategic objectives of the West Health entities focused on successful aging and the ability to interpret it for specific audiences
- Establish and maintain quality relationships with collaborators, event organizers and speakers, vendors and relevant organizations in the industry
Qualifications and Experience
- Ideal candidate will have 3 to 7 years of media/journalism experience
- Proven track record working with and securing earned media with national, local and trade reporters.
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Self-starter; deadline oriented; personable able to foster positive working relationships with colleagues, partners, etc.
- Previous Capitol Hill experience and/or extensive knowledge in the healthcare industries preferred.
- Ability to understand complex policy issues and translate them into lay terms for media, stakeholders, and the public
- Bachelors’ degree required in communications, public relations, journalism, or a related field
If you are interested in applying, please submit a cover letter outlining your interest in the position along with three writing samples of varying styles along with your resume. Click here to apply.
West Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, marital status, age, disability or veteran’s status.
Job posted: 2020-11-16