Media Relations Manager
Small Business Majority seeks a seasoned Media Relations Manager who will be responsible for planning and executing all media relations campaigns and strategies at the national, state and local levels. The position will develop and implement press strategies, coordinate interviews with reporters and producers, prep spokespeople, pitch stories and manage Small Business Majority’s media database. They will also be responsible for writing press materials, op-eds, talking points and more.
This is an ideal role for a self-starter who’s able to think creatively and strategically to garner earned media in a competitive news climate. This position will be directly involved with the organization’s COVID-19 response work and will need to be comfortable with coordinating competing, fast turnaround opportunities. The role reports to the VP, Communications while also working closely with other members of senior leadership and government affairs.
The position is based in Washington, D.C.
If you would like to apply, please submit a cover letter indicating your specific interest in Small Business Majority along with 3 current writing samples and your current resume.
- Develop and execute media relations plans at the national, state and local levels to raise awareness of short- and long-term small business issues
- Work closely with the VP, Communications and others to identify and implement new strategies to further the organization’s brand recognition; similarly, develop members of the organization and small business spokespeople as thought leaders on small business and economic issues
- Develop and nurture relationships with print and online editors, writers, TV/radio producers, bookers, etc. at the national level and in key states
- Pitch stories, secure media coverage and draft and place op-eds, letters to the editor and other pieces
- Write and distribute press releases, media statements, Q&A docs, talking points, policy summaries and other materials as needed
- Maintain and grow our database of media contacts
- Provide talking points on key policy issues to small business owners and Small Business Majority staff members
- Help prepare Small Business Majority staff and small business owners for media interviews/interactions, including media training
- Stay on top of critical related news and developments
- Respond quickly to media inquiries
- Proactively search out opportunities for media interviews and engagement for Small Business Majority staff and members of our small business network
- Minimum of 5 years media/journalism experience
- Proven track record securing national broadcast and print coverage
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal; bilingual a plus
- Superior writing and interviewing skills
- Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Self-starter; deadline oriented; personable—able to foster positive working relationships with colleagues, small business owners, partners, etc.
- Interest in advocacy and public policy; Previous Capitol Hill experience a plus
- Ability to understand complex policy issues and translate them into layperson’s terms for small business owners, media, etc.
- Available to work outside regular working hours and weekends as needs arise
- Mastery of social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, blogging) and social media analytics
- Enjoy a collaborative work environment with ability to work as part of a team with multiple internal and external resources; as well, must be able to work independently and remotely with team members in other cities/states
- Mastery of all Microsoft Office programs (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Must be able to work from a home office temporarily during the COVID-19 pandemic
Please send your cover letter indicating your specific interest in Small Business Majority along with 3 current writing samples and your current resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Job posted: 2021-03-16