Media Relations Manager
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 7 years of experience in public relations, media relations or corporate communications focused on direct engagement with media and journalists.
- Experience giving presentations and writing communications.
- Experience working creatively and effectively cross-functionally.
- Deep understanding of and interest in the U.S. media landscape and its players.
- Ability to translate complex ideas into understandable language and concepts.
- Ability to track work with precision and produce clear, compelling, effective reports.
- Ability to manage relationships with and needs of journalists.
- Exceptional relationship-building skills.
About the job
As a member of the Global Communications & Public Affairs team, you will work cross-functionally to help communicate with journalists and other thought leaders; devise specific communications materials and campaigns based on understanding of journalists’ interests; engage in face-to-face meetings with commentators and other opinion formers; develop print and web-based material supporting these campaigns; and counter misinformation that might interfere with our business and ability to serve our users. We’re looking for great communicators who can understand complex issues and explain them in person and also via well written, simple blog posts, FAQs, video scripts and more.
As a manager, you’ll be responsible for a product area externally, or an executive or functional group internally. You’ll act as a strategic partner, thoughtfully piecing together pitch ideas or weaving related materials into the larger business picture.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to manage our beat reporter relationships, helping to shape some of our most important coverage, while also influencing and building relationships with journalists and editors. You will communicate topics and narratives from across nearly every division at Google, so you will engage with a wide variety of internal colleagues and leaders. You will help craft a strategy for events and other innovative, new and creative ways to engage with these journalists. This is a unique role that blends external communications with a creative, entrepreneurial approach to come up with new ways to enhance our reputation among these critical journalist stakeholder groups.
We help inform and educate users, advertisers, partners, opinion leaders–and our own employees–about the benefits of Google’s products, our distinctive company culture/values and our approach to the big public policy issues of the day. You are quick-witted, entrepreneurial and intellectually curious. To succeed in this role, you are willing to try new things and can manage numerous projects with tight deadlines. Things happen quickly at Google, and to do great work, you need to be an enthusiastic team player who can work cross-functionally with partners across PR, comms, marketing, product and beyond.
- Build and maintain close, productive relationships with beat reporters, columnists and other influential journalists
- Communicate our messaging on corporate issues to reporters
- Identify and pitch high-impact opportunities across print, live events, podcasts and other platforms
- Plan and execute virtual and in-person events with journalists ranging from intimate dinners to year-end holiday parties
- Maintain, update and share central services and tools with broader communications team, including editorial calendars, journalist contact lists, proactive opportunities, etc.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-06-08